VW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting's, fellow VW people.

I am Pat Stakem. I switched from air cooled to water cooled diesel a while back. I had a 1973 Thing, and my wife had one of the first Rabbit diesels in the US - had the car show stickers on it at delivery.

Now we get by with a 2000 Beele TDI and a 2009 Jetta wagon TDI.

Just back from a visit to my daughter in Senegal, where she is on temporary assignment with an aid agency. I saw a lot of (new to me) cars; here
are the VW models.

I saw no Beetles, air cooled or water cooled. The Polo is available with a 1.2 liter as a hatchback or sedan. The Golf model has the 1.6 liter gas engine, as does the Jetta sedan. The Passat and Passat CC have the 1.8 liter gas. The Touareg SUV is what we call the Tiguan, with a 3.6 liter V-6. Older, bigger Touareg's are also on the streets. The awesome Amarok pickup truck comes with the 2.0 liter turbodiesel, and is 4x4. The Touran SUV is on the streets here. The regular minivan has the 2.0 liter gas engine, and is rated for 6 passengers. This is the Euro model, not the re-badged Chrysler in the US. They also offer a 19 passenger bus, the Crafter, with the 2.5 liter diesel. There is supposedly a new, very small Polo-based SUV coming out. I saw a full size (in American terms) VW pickup, crew cab, tdi, 4wd. I also saw a water-cooled Vanagon configured as a crew cab pickup.

I staked out an Amorak truck to talk to the owner, but he drove away before I could catch him. A very similar vehicle is the Great Wall Wingo
crew cab. No way I could fit either in checked baggage.

..pat

1 - 1 of 1 Posts