VW Forum banner
2,181 - 2,200 of 2,206 Posts
Hello All,
This is probably outside the norm but here we go.

My son owns a 1991 VW Golf that he wants to restore and upgrade. I am coming with him for the ride and know absolutely jack nothing about VW's, but I am going to help him out the best I can.

I signed up here in the hopes that this community will be able to help out and fill in my massive knowledge gaps....LOL

I would like to thank everyone in advance that help me out with advice and guidance. I would also like to apologize to everyone if my questions are "not normal".... :)

Cheers
James

I hope this forum is as good as the Smart car forum and got my used electric car going.
I have a 2014 Jetta Basic, No S no TDI, Motor 4 wheel and a five speed. nothing fancy. This car was leased than I had to by it as paying for the mileage was more the the purchase. No it has 170K miles on it. The brake disk failed before the pads wear off on all four wheel. The transmission did not shit into 5th anymore. it cost me an arm and a leg. And now I drove down the Lewiston Grade, 7% downhill shifted down and left the clutch out to fast. some smoke and no more power transfer between engine and gear box. Now I am here. I am in the beautiful PNW, near Puyallup, WA

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part Metal

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

This prompted me to join the Forum. I had the VW dealer replace the 5 speed transmission and clutch kit, because I could not shift into fifth gear anymore. The car was fine driving as a 4 speed. Just the freeway gas mileage suffered a bit. The new transmission did not shift as easy and when I drove down the Lewiston grade at 6% and tried to shift down I missed the third gear. When I released the clutch, it destroyed everything. No VW dealer within 100 plus miles. U-haul for the rescue and 350 miles later i was home. I ordered a kit at O'Raily Autoparts and hope for the best.

View attachment 18171

View attachment 18172 View attachment 18173

This prompted me to join the Forum. I had the VW dealer replace the 5 speed transmission and clutch kit, because I could not shift into fifth gear anymore. The car was fine driving as a 4 speed. Just the freeway gas mileage suffered a bit. The new transmission did not shift as easy and when I drove down the Lewiston grade at 6% and tried to shift down I missed the third gear. When I released the clutch, it destroyed everything. No VW dealer within 100 plus miles. U-haul for the rescue and 350 miles later i was home. I ordered a kit at O'Raily Autoparts and hope for the best.
That trans looks in bad shape. How's the kit?

Hi guys,

I live in Washington, have a 2015 Mk7 Golf TDI SEL. Last year I hit an elk doing around 60 and totaled the car due to some expensive body/glass damage. Luckily I was uninjured and there wasn't any major structural damage, since the salvage fee wasn't a lot I kept the car and re-titled it. Have been working on the Golf as I've had time over the last half year or so and it's just about road worthy again, joined the forum hoping to get some tips on some of the repairs I need.

Evening everyone, I'm new here. 1stvtime vw owner. Bought this bad boy with full intentions to customize ever single part that I can to make the car more me instead of the generic off the shelf type. Just bought the car and need the help from all u knowledgeable folks to walk me through a bit in fixing her and getting her up to par before I get to put my own spin on it. It an 06 mk5 Jetta 5 speed. With plans to be a widebody built at home wirh a set of Corvette rims and coilovers to compliment her. I'll keep the updated and soon to be pictures coming as I get things completed.

Hello all!
Patrick, in Arkoma OK, age 29.

I was thinking of getting a 1973 Bug without an engine, and having an electric motor put in, but to get the quote for the motor I need some specs for the car that aren't in the manual.

Where in the forums would I ask if a 1973 Bug has a straight or splined output shaft, or what is its Differential/Transmission or Belt/Chain Gear Ratio?

Hi, My name is Mike.
Hobbies: Reading, working and tinkering with about anything
Car: 2011 VW Golf Mk6 Base 2.5L Automatic
Found forum by typing in and searching for specific VW Forum since I have a problem with TCM.

A few weeks ago the car would not shift out of park. I looked at the fuses (both inside car and under hood) and all were fine. I have taken console apart to make sure I had not cut any wires or crimped any wiring when I had replaced the console after having it off before. The car shifted with no issues for at least a month after replacing console. I replaced the brake light switch and that did not solve the issue.
Finally, a neighbor let me use his OBD and I found that the TCM (Transmission Control Module) was not communicating (U0101). I looked under the driver side fender but did not see TCM and am wondering is it in the pan. So, here is my dilemma.
1. Car will not budge while using manual override to switch gears into reverse or drive
2. Transmission does a loud clunking noise when I use manual override.
3. Checked all fuses (all seem to be good)
4. TCM not communicating.
5. Cannot find barrel connector to see if there is a power issue going to the TCM
6. I am at wits end. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the advice and I appreciate forums such as this. Thanks.

Cheers, Everyone.

Hey all,
New here
I have a MKIII Jetta 2.slow
Joined forum in hopes of finding a VR6, I drove a Golf a few years back that had one in it and I’ve been obsessed with finding one. Now I have a little cash to spend so now is the time I hope.
I also like disc golfing(even have my own course)
I grow stuff where I live in Eastern Washington with my gf.
Peace

Hi I’m Deanna
I just purchased my very first Volkswagen last Friday..she is a 2013 Passat SE with 118k and we live along the NC coast near the Outer Banks. I hope to learn a lot about my newest adventure with her considering I have solely driven big SUV’s for the past 15 or so years.

My first question for the group is: are there anything major I need to be concerned about with this new to me vehicle such as motor issues or the like? I’m somewhat mechanically inclined..helped my ex hubby with his ‘88 Mustang Notchback when he started the rebuild/refurbishment. So I’m not afraid to break a nail doing minor repairs.

Have a great day and enjoy your Sunday🙂

2,181 - 2,200 of 2,206 Posts