VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

My name is Chris. I have an 08 Jetta, and have been having problems with leaks lately. I took my 08 Jetta in about 6 mo ago for a busted water pump (replaced with a steel pump) which had led to a busted head gasket. 2 grand later it's working again, but now I have coolant leaking out of the hose at the top of the expansion tank. I was told if it's hard when the engine is on that it might be the head gasket. I'd replace the hose/tank myself but if it's related to the head gasket I don't want to replace something that wasn't damaged by myself (or could lead to further problems). Should I take it to somebody different? Should I do the repair myself? Should I get a head gasket test kit? Please let me know, the repair guy is supposed to specialize in VW and seems to have a decent reputation... but unfortunately my experience with repair guys has been anything but good (sorry, no offense to anybody here... I just always have related problems come up later after dropping chunks of change... to the point where I'm about to start studying to get ASE certified and do it myself).

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I attached a pic with the leaking hose circled if it helps... when my car is turned off after driving for a while it starts spraying from weak points in the circled expansion tank hose. It's still holding fluid, but I'd say after about 30-40 mi I get a low coolant warning. Also, I don't see any oil in the expansion tank, but it does look like there's very trace amounts of like dust or dirt floating around. This hose feels kind of hard when the engine is running, but I can still give it a little squeeze. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Does it hold boost? I would go ahead and replace the tank and the hose first, since that's the cheaper option. If it still leaks after that have someone look at it. I know on my Jetta I've had to replace the tank, and a couple of coolant hoses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey UTMKIv,

Thank you so much for the reply. It's a 2.0L 4 Cylinder GLI and seems to honestly run just fine except that it leaks coolant and I have to refill everytime I go to the car. I'm 99.99% sure is the Radiator Overflow tube (sits at the top of the expansion/overflow tank), do you think that's something I can replace with this tubing?. It really doesn't seem like a difficult fix (just detach from the expansion tank and back of engine, and replace tubing w spring clips). Do you think I will have to do a coolant flush since it seems like it's a return line? I'll probably have to hold off on replacing the expansion tank until I get paid as I'm short on cash. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hey UTMKIv,

Thank you so much for the reply. It's a 2.0L 4 Cylinder GLI and seems to honestly run just fine except that it leaks coolant and I have to refill everytime I go to the car. I'm 99.99% sure is the Radiator Overflow tube (sits at the top of the expansion/overflow tank), do you think that's something I can replace with this tubing?. It really doesn't seem like a difficult fix (just detach from the expansion tank and back of engine, and replace tubing w spring clips). Do you think I will have to do a coolant flush since it seems like it's a return line? I'll probably have to hold off on replacing the expansion tank until I get paid as I'm short on cash. Thanks again for all the help.
Had the same issue on my Jetta, so I know what it's like to fill it with coolant every day. I bet the autozone part would work, as long as it's the same size. I would flush it, but that's just me. If the autozone part won't work then ECS should be able to provide a replacement. OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey UTMKIv,

Thanks again... and your Avatar is hilarious (I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude)... lol. Anyways, thanks again for all the help. I was really surprised at how fast you replied, better than any forum I've been to yet. I'll post my results so hopefully it might help somebody else down the road.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yeah haha, I love that movie. Good luck to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts