VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my GTI 1.8T because it is a fun, reliable car. I am all but a car expert and do not have the resources to completely upgrade the cars components. I will have enough assets this summer($500) to get Revo or APR. How great of an acceleration gain would i expect from a chip. What were your first reactions to one and does it make the car all that more fun. Oh yeah, and if i got a chip i would eventually upgrade the airbox and DV. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Because its a turbo, the 1.8T benefits greatly from chipping. Changing boost levels, timing and air/fuel mixture..not to mention removing your top speed governor, reducing the drive-by-wire lag, and such. The chip is the best bang for the buck that the 1.8T has. Period. Second most gain from a 1.8T is a bigger turbo...and you must have a matched chip for that as well...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Second most gain from a 1.8T is a bigger turbo...and you must have a matched chip for that as well...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very common misconception.....you do not need a matched chip for turbo upgrades at all.....currently the worlds highest trap speed MKIV 1.8T is on stock software. There is another in Lancaster that put down 288whp on stock software that I have rode in, his SN on here is nebulight.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
That's crazy that the fastest trap 1.8T was on stock software - I would think that for a given car having custom software would only make it faster. Maybe not here???

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
That's crazy that the fastest trap 1.8T was on stock software - I would think that for a given car having custom software would only make it faster. Maybe not here???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you can fool the ECU into doing almost exactly what a custom ecu map will do by some tricks such as MAP clamping, and appropriately sizing MAF housings and injectors. Plus you can do it for the cost of a boost controller (can be had for as little as $50) and a 10 cent diode.

I will try to explain this as good as possible..........

Your MAF (mass air flow) is the device that the car uses to sense how much air is coming into the car so that it can mix the appropriate amount of fuel for a safe a/f ratio. The stock inside diameter of the housing that goes around the MAF on a 1.8T is 2.36". Most commonly, people will upgrade this housing to a VR6 housing which has an inside diameter of 2.75". The MAF sees the same amount of air, but more is actually passing through because of the larger inside diameter. Now if you appropriately match larger injectors, (440cc injectors are most common) to supply more fuel for the extra air, the ECU doesn't realize what is going on and then your fueling is taken care of. Some fine tuning can be done if you buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and dyno tune it with a wideband 02 sensor.

Now for the increased boost without hitting limp mode............

Everyone knows that the stock ecu will throw you into limp mode if you boost too much. If you don't want a different chip to override this, or can't afford one, you can fool the ECU into thinking there is less boost than there really is....this is how people are getting stock software to boost and hold 20+ psi to redline on these turbo upgrades. The most popular method of doing this is to take a diode that is in there that is on the path from the MAP sensor to the ECU and replacing it with something that will cut the electronic signal so that the ECU sees less electronic signal, which the ECU percieves as less boost. I don't know the stock diode's technical specifications off the top of my head, but most commonly right now it is being replaced with a 4.7v 10w diode. Now the ECU effectively sees less boost than you are really pushing and won't throw you into limp mode anymore. This is what people are talking about when you hear of them clamping their map sensors. While this is new to VW, other jap car tuners, and the early 2.5 turbo mopar guys w/ daytona's and shadows have been doing this stuff for almost a decade.....it just took VW guys a little longer to figure this out.

To get the car to boost more, you simply use a boost controller and crank her up on the dyno w/ a wideband and adjust boost with your boost controller, and fueling with your adjustable fpr till you have desirable a/f ratio throughout the power band.

The only problem with this setup is typically you run a bit lean at idle when the motor is not under boost, but there are a few other tricks out there to prevent this as well.

The only problem with these setups other than lean conditions at idle is that there is no way to control timing as of yet. There will be tricks for this as well though soon I bet.....for now though it is a way to go fast for way cheaper than buying software and it is safe if you know what your doing. If you could find a way to progressively increase timing throughout the powerband, you will begin to see 500+ whp 1.8T's with no bottle. This is some of what will be addressed by packages like the GIAC, APR and REVO big turbo software packages.

Hope that explains some of this stuff without making me sound too nerdy.

[ January 14, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

[ January 14, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems I'm in the same boat as stockonline2. I would like to chip mine and have been planning on doing so before too long. I have seen Revo and APR mentioned here. I have a coworker that chipped his '00 Beetle with Upsolute...he says it's the best. Where can I find a comparison of these chips? Or from y'all's experience, if all I am going to do is chip it, which chip is best and why?

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2001GTI:
...if all I am going to do is chip it, which chip is best and why?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its my opinion that the best chip is the one that you can get to the retailer the easiest. Revo and APR are very similar products with Revo giving you more adaptability as far as fine tuning your setup. Which it seems like you are not interested in.

I have APR DPP and I can also say that
its the best but that would be an uneducated claim. (much like your friend's) Also look into a GIAC chip. You can't over-research chips.

And by the way, once you start power modding, there will be no "all I'm gonna do is.."

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Does anyone know anything about Upsolute chips for the 1.8T? They are about $120 cheaper then APR and GIAC. I would think there has to be some reason for that, whether it be reliability or performance, although they claim +32hp.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIboarder:
Does anyone know anything about Upsolute chips for the 1.8T? They are about $120 cheaper then APR and GIAC. I would think there has to be some reason for that, whether it be reliability or performance, although they claim +32hp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Upsolute makes a good chip IMHO. Back when all the chips were coming out, upsolute wasn't making quite as much power as APR or GIAC, but now I have seen some dyno's from som very powerful upsolute cars. They have updated files or something in the last few years. Well it's a wild guess, but I would guess cost is so low because most of the guys that do the chipping for them do it part time and work out of there houses....theres no storefront for most of their distributors to pay for, therefore they pay the distributor less so costs are lower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts