VW Forum banner

Is it just me or is the Mk4 world shrinking...?

5K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  _FUBAR_ 
#1 ·
Well... is iT?:confused:

Ive personally dont go on vortex other than the 1.8t forum and the classifieds, Ive never posted any discussion on NCdubs, however I do most my chatting and gosip here which is slowing down also.

Blasphemy! We need a Revival! We need Photo of the month contests! we need a more active community!!!!!!!

We should rally up and try and spread the name/word and get some new members on here. Hell, get some existing members on here!!!!

I know we are all growing up and blah, blah, blah but Illhave this car forever it seems. If they are still mk1/2s being praised, lord knows ill have my 20th. I cant be the only one with Faith!:pimp::r32:

#2 ·
I know what you mean. When I joined this forum two and a half years ago or so, there were much more members and POTM was active enough to have prizes. Now it seems like everyone is disappearing.

I'm all for the more active vwforum community!
:vwf:

#3 ·
everyone needs to do their part! bring a new friend kick an old one to update their threads. There is no reason this place should be dead!

Maybe some cool tech threads? maybe some FAQ garage info... ive got the wheels turning over here tomake things intersting. I dont have the time myself either but ill try!

#4 · (Edited)
Mk4 "scene" is too young for me. Plus it's boring. Same stuff over and over. It's all "look what I bolted on my car" if I get back into a vw it's going to be a scirocco again. I still like seeing some real builds going on. But it's become so cookie cutter. Air, shaved bay, 3pc wheels, and a quick release steering wheel. Here is my personal take on it. I basically paid $24,000 for my mk4 all said and done. Paying $350 a month and $100+ for insurance and having a family and a house. I never really had big cash to spend on the "eye catching items". Where now people are buying gli's and 20ths for $5000 and have a lot more money to put into them off the bat. I can't justify spending $1000 on wheels. Even if I had the money I would be hesitant. I think im just cheap. I feel like I've done enough for this forum as well as vortex. All the diy's I have put together. There is maybe 5 of us on here that own a camera it seems. I'm slowly trying to rehab myself from the vw world. It is hard

#5 ·
I see what you are saying fubar. I feel like a few years from now only the real nice builds will remain. All the kids will bolton/unbolt the cars to the ground.

I personally bought my 20th after I sold my jetta to avoid spending $5k on the interior alone :p. Guess I learned my lesson the 1st time. Im more content now that my build is done, isnt "cookie-cutter" really (maybe someparts) but I know what i did is timeless and Im happy keeping parked as a queen. One day the mkiv will be old and more awesome like mk1/2s.

We all know you're out and what you have done for the forum and are not ignoring that. Just saying some new fresh stuff could revive the forum here. I know I learn cool tech stuff every sunday watching my powernation.

#6 ·
I don't consider you apart of the cookie cutter class. We have seen you physically work on your car. Plus you are usually changing things up and you make awesome headlights. My beef is those who can barely install coilovers. Or those who install air and have a rats nest of wires hidden under their tank/floor setup. They want attention and want people to say wow your car looks great when in reality it's just hacked together. I really dislike spoon-fed people. One thing that is good about this forum is we don't really have any members that need spoon-fed. We rarely get posts like "where is the battery?" Stuff that is easily answered by a Google search. Plus it is faster and you usually get a lot more info that way. I've just grown tired playing with my cars. I would love to lower my mk5 but it's not going to happen. I do still like the look and ride of a lowered car. It's actually nearing 1 month since I have drove my mk4. No insurance or inspection so I really can't. Hoping I can sell it before I chop it up. Hate to chop up a car that has a clean title.

#8 ·
You guys are going to be waiting a looooong time before it's anything like a MK1/MK2..

I don't really mind that fact that the MK4s are losing popularity. The scene is such a joke now, and I wouldn't even want to be associated with any of them. Driving the same brand car 2 generations older is too close of an association with a lot of them. That's why pretty much the only VW people are talk to are a few locals and the people here.
Crashing the MK4 was probably the best thing I could have done. It may have gotten me a very frustrating car, but I'd still take it any day...that it doesn't piss me off beyond belief lol.

#9 ·
It is shrinking, but that is to be expected due to the age and cost of the vehicles.

I agree, they will soon be the MKIII of VWs and be rotting out and parted out across the country. Those that keep theirs will have taken care of them.

Most Interwebz famous MKiV bags and wheels kids have parted theirs out and moved into e30s, vintage porsches, and mkvis which is fine with me.

This forum is a different animal. I don't understand why it fails so badly, only that it has never been the same since the current ownership too over. I was here before, it was great! I have tried to bring it back within my limited abilities as a Mod, but to no avail. Now I just come on to see what a select few are doing these days and normally see 1-2 new posts max. Pretty sad really.

#10 ·
ugh, you guys are making me feel stupid i still like my 20th...:-/

Other than the Motor, I dont have TOO much into the car... lots of stuff was from my MKIV Jetta and everything else can be sold with the car (like my R32 seats wired and all, r32 wheel, and maybe even some retrofits haha)

My back up plan is to swap a stock motor and wheels to the car and try and get as much out of it as possible and get a b5 avant quattro to put my BT set up into. Family BT car would be perfect IMO. Then save the extra coin.

Eventually I want something RWD and/or something I honestly only drive on the weekend.

#11 ·
VW parts are expensive, even with mk4s being old. They can be expensive, comparatively, to maintain.

I like this site though. I've been dragging ass on my car for what, a year. I still stop in to see whats going on. Doesn't help that I don't care so much for the subaru crowd. They call their cars rigs and are a bunch of hippies, no joke.

The way I see it, every car community you can look at and bash them. VWs it's obviously that they are obsessed with bags and being dubtools. Guys with lifted trucks or disels, they do dumb stuff like convert to front solid axels, run 35 inch tires and never hauled anything besides a lawn mower in their life. Every nitch has the good and the bad. I love muscle cars to death but a lot of guys build their car out of a summit catalog, bunch of 40 year olds who go to the bar 6 times a week.
But there's good and bad everywhere and what's the use to judge people or even feel judged.
What does it matter if a 16 year old asks about your car, hell maybe he appreciates it. What does it matter if grandma looks at you like you're crazy. You're going to find that until you stop caring about your car and stop modifying it.

#12 ·
Well I know for sure I will not stop modifying cars until I die haha... the question I ask myself now Is how much more I should put into this one. The more I think about it the more I realize all the $$ I put into it was the motor, so Ill just keep that forever and put it into something else

#13 ·
You guys may see me as one of the "kids" because that's how my cars have looked. But both of mine are the way I got them.

Personally I like my mkiv for a daily that I can have looking really nice all the time and go to shows with. But right now as far as building goes I either want to go muscle or get a 2wd chevy square body pickup. Like 73-87. I had a 77 4x4. But I want a street truck.
I will admit I have a couple bolt ons going for my golf like a strut bar but oh well. I am cheap too.

#15 ·
What really sucks for me is I don't have any friends close to me that have modified cars. None of them are into it. They like modified cars but have no mechanical ability so they never do anything to their stuff. My brother might be the only one into it. But he like trucks and jeeps. Which is why I want to sell my mk4. I want to buy a beat wrangler and just off road it. I almost feel like I wasted 6 years with the gti.

#19 ·
Few friends modify VWs, there is a large contingent into muscle cars, trucks, jeeps, and AWDs/bimmers around my area. Those with VWs in my area are younger, and choose terrible modifications like euro plates and decals to "modify" them...I try to correct their paths best I can, but budget mods prevail.

A couple people that I didn't even know before VWs are prob now my closest friends because of my car at this point though. Weekends wrenching, going to shows, learning about things under the hood of a piston engine (as rotary was all I knew a few years ago) and gathering inspiration from forums, shows, and other models, all contribute to that.

Did I "waste" almost as much money as I paid for the car so far in modifications? Probably, I will never see that money again, but I could be spending it on other things that are much worse…but I have gained a lot of other things because of my time and money spent modifying my car. Plus, no one has my car on the road, good or bad, it is entirely mine and how I want it so that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I drive it.

I have no plans to sell or part out my car, I would rather keep it and buy another car to work on I felt was “worthy” of spending money and time on, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

#22 · (Edited)
I own a subaru wrx., I rally cross the thing. We own a turbodiesel ford, she hauls a open top car trailer with teh golf on it, and camp trailer to go camping in.she has four doors, and 260k miles on her. we r gonna work on her tonite.she gets regular use, 7.3l ford turbo diesel.2wd ford f250 with teh t7.3l turbodiesel v8/ non intercooled turbo.since my wrx is not operational, because i wrecked it.10 business days from mon.i will drive our f250 turbodiesel to fedex where i work 2nite. off atlantic ave.our rig will fuel it up, and go for hours to the mountains.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.