VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible for a mk4 1.8t to make gunshot noises and throw flames from a custom exhaust can that be done?????? help plz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
if your sh1t is poping, take out the cat and get a test pip it will backfire when you let off the gas, my 240sx used to do that, it was bad ass :sniper:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,124 Posts
eurotrashed said:
You will never get a very loud backfire if the car is running properly. You can get it to "pop" but not a super loud bang. Shooting flames is a side effect of extensive tuning, you'll need a big turbo and lots of other goodies to do that. Or you can resort to your inner-ricer:
http://www.hotlicksexhaust.com/default.asp
Learn what you are talking about. I know of 3 people on Ko3's with under 10k miles on their cars that can shoot giant flames and make people drop to the ground in the city. Its called gutting the cat and running straight pipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,513 Posts
98a4 said:
eurotrashed said:
You will never get a very loud backfire if the car is running properly. You can get it to "pop" but not a super loud bang. Shooting flames is a side effect of extensive tuning, you'll need a big turbo and lots of other goodies to do that. Or you can resort to your inner-ricer:
http://www.hotlicksexhaust.com/default.asp
Learn what you are talking about. I know of 3 people on Ko3's with under 10k miles on their cars that can shoot giant flames and make people drop to the ground in the city. Its called gutting the cat and running straight pipe.
Oh I am so sorry. I am wrong sometimes. Just because I am wrong about something doesnt mean you need to get your panties in a twist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
98a4 said:
Learn what you are talking about jackass. I know of 3 people on Ko3's with under 10k miles on their cars that can shoot giant flames and make people drop to the ground in the city. Its called gutting the cat and running straight pipe.
That must get annoying after awhile?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Only in the VW world can you see:

1. People argue/curse at each other over one of the dumbest questions ever asked
2. Someone use "flames" and "extensive tuning" in the same sentence
3. Someone use "KO3", "giant flames" and "people dropping to the ground" in the same sentence......bonus points for that one.

If you want a answer to your question, it is combination of the internet knowledge bomb these boys just dropped on you.

You need to be running no cat and have a major excess of fuel (as in adjustable FPR/larger FPR) pressure. An excess of fuel gets pushed out the exhaust valve (usually caused by a quick upshift or quick accel to 0% throttle condition) before ignition and ignites in your hot exhaust=flame.

Now I must go get a shower because I feel dirty after posting this.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,124 Posts
Gutted cat = hollowed cat
Straight pipe = no mid res TDI midpipe ect

And yes, people have ducked in the city when Coreys ko3 with no cat leading straight to a muffler fired it off.

Large flame = turndown exhaust hits the ground and spreads out.

Beleive it or not, I generally know what I'm talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,968 Posts
im running a cat (thats it) to side exhaust and it has a loud ass pop and maybe shoot flames now and then when i shift with out letting off the gas....with a t3s60
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,542 Posts
evilgti2000 said:
You need to be running no cat and have a major excess of fuel (as in adjustable FPR/larger FPR) pressure. An excess of fuel gets pushed out the exhaust valve (usually caused by a quick upshift or quick accel to 0% throttle condition) before ignition and ignites in your hot exhaust=flame.
yep. my neighbor's SR20'd 240sx shoots flames like a mother, but he has a adj. fpr and is running kinda rich now...

but yeah, the excess gas in the exhaust lights up. thats how it happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
when i downshift my exhaust pops soo much to the point where i have a headache, my car backfired a couple times, my friend was behind me and i was going on the highway...just take the cat out and wear the exhaust in some more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,409 Posts
Right now with just adding the Eurosport exhaust I get some nice backfires, sometimes in between shifts. I'm sure if I was running no cat you'd see some sick ass flames. A friend with a MK3 with header, no cat and Supersprint exhaust would shoot 2 foot flames. All this coolness with an hour worth of work. I have all the parts (new gaskets, bolts) to do this, but I need access to some monster jack stands or a lift in order to get my cat out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
The only time I can backfire is when I hit boost in 1st and then let off and leave it in 1st. That should change when I get a cutout though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
kaslow said:
is it possible for a mk4 1.8t to make gunshot noises and throw flames from a custom exhaust can that be done?????? help plz
This must be really cool in the UK.... cause my first car was a piece of shit and shot flames like it was its' job. Never got "the look" from the ladies in that car... even when it caught on fire for the third time on 222.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Yeah im deff losing my cat and putting a strait pipe in, but i need to tie up the second o2 sensor some how.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
98a4 said:
Have a bung welded in and use a spacer to aviod throwing a code.
A spark plug fouler drilled out with a 3/4" bit does the trick. Only costs $3 at a parts store and is the exact thread pitch of a O2, thats how I roll :lol: .
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top