VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have an 85 jetta...do you think i should get a new motor for my 1.8 8v (like a vr6 or 16v)thats what i want to do but i dont know how much it would cost or anything...thanks for the help later

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
This is a commonly asked question. I think the 8v is a decent engine but I plan to swap mine out soon. If you scroll down and go through some of the other posts there's prices and what not. Good luck with whatever you decide.

G

·
0 Posts
well a VR6 swap is around 4500 to do the whole thing a 16valve i think is right around 1500...i have a 16v in mine already came stock so i dunno i'm doing a vr swap soon and it's costing me 4800

·
Registered
133 Posts
Old Skool hit the prices pretty well. It depends upon what you want to do with the car - how long you going to keep it, ect. The VR is nice because of the power. Some parts are very expensive to replace (more so then the 8v or 16v). You also have the option of the 2.0 Xflow if you want an engine conversion.

If it is going to be your daily car or beater type car, I would go with an engine replacement rather then a big swap. Also with the swap - make sure either you or the shop you would go to have an idea of how to do things, just so you don't have to pay twice as much to fix problems.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
4800 is a little much for a vr6 swap. You can get donor cars for under 3000. And that would have just about everything you need. Especially if it's a corrado. Oh wait are you doing this yourself or getting a shop to do it. If your doing it yourself you can usually get it done for farly inexpensive. If you're paying a GOOD shop will mostlikly get close to 5000 for a vr6. a 16v would be significantly less either way you do it.

G

·
0 Posts
MMI cocepts were gonna do it for me for 4800 drop it in run it with a chip and sach preformace clutch and the motor under 45,000 miles and paint the engine bay...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Skool MK2:
MMI cocepts were gonna do it for me for 4800 drop it in run it with a chip and sach preformace clutch and the motor under 45,000 miles and paint the engine bay...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That sounds like a good deal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts