VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked the idea of a 2.0L 16v in a Mk3 GTI, but they never brought them to the states. So I came to thinking about buying a 16v motor for about $500, and building on it (cams, springs, retainers, rods and pistons, p&p, etc.) and have a nice rev-happy Mk3. It would be a project, then when i needed to, take out the 2.0l 8v and swap in the 16v, and hopefully sell the 8v. This is just thinking here but overall would it be worth it to do that kind of work to a 16v??

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIboarder:
I've always liked the idea of a 2.0L 16v in a Mk3 GTI, but they never brought them to the states. So I came to thinking about buying a 16v motor for about $500, and building on it (cams, springs, retainers, rods and pistons, p&p, etc.) and have a nice rev-happy Mk3. It would be a project, then when i needed to, take out the 2.0l 8v and swap in the 16v, and hopefully sell the 8v. This is just thinking here but overall would it be worth it to do that kind of work to a 16v??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a MKIII 16v in York I saw at a GTG this fall.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. And when funds permit, 16vT
I'm not so sure about needing rods and pistons, that ups the project cost alot...

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
16vs seem to shit out around 220,000 miles. 2L 16v that is old... around $400. They're pretty popular.

If I were you I'd build a falsie ABF.

The ABF is the 16v that came in the MK3 overseas. It's a tall block like the ABA (16mm taller bores and longer rods than the regular 2L 16v), but with the 16v head. Very different motor than the 9A 2L 16v we got here in the states.

A couple places out there sell the pistons (or you can have them made, or buy new factory VW ones from someone in germany) to put the 16v head on the ABA (2L 8v) bottom end.

That would get you around the other big thing... the engine swap rule. Most states say that to do an engine swap the engine has to come out of a newer car. And since the 16v died in the states before your MK3 came around, you're SOL. But there's nothing wrong with just changing the head and pistons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts