VW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since I got this car a few months ago, I noticed on occasion it wouldn't start up on the first try without giving it a little gas. This was rare, maybe 1 in 20 times. Well I just got back from a 5 day vacation and it didn't start on the first try. I figured no big deal it sat for 5 days. Well now its giving me some issues on the road...

I went to punch the gas in 3rd gear and it just started bucking and shaking. I tried doing this in other gears and it did the same thing. It only does it when I give it full throttle all at once....it doesn't do it when I gradually push the gas down and let it work its way to faster speeds.

My limited knowledge leads me to some type of fuel line issue. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated because I do not have the funds at the moment to have a shop fix this, I would like to fix this on my own if at all possible.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE :(

So I went out today and fired her up and started heading to work, and now its pretty much not driveable. It is misfiring pretty good in neutral, and anytime I try to give it any gas and go anywhere it shakes and sputters and won't go more than a couple miles an hour. I revved it up in neutral a few times and the exhaust backfires and emits a small cloud of black smoke. I had to drive it 3 mph up the hill back into my driveway.

any thoughts?

· Registered
3,153 Posts
damn, shitty situation. post on regionals for vortex asking for someone with vagcom to scan your car.

wel just going by what youve said, im going to guess its spark/ ignition related. Check all spark plugs, clean them if dirty, gap them to .032, and then test for spark. then check all of your coilpacks to see if theyre working. im guessing its coilpacks.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn, shitty situation. post on regionals for vortex asking for someone with vagcom to scan your car.

wel just going by what youve said, im going to guess its spark/ ignition related. Check all spark plugs, clean them if dirty, gap them to .032, and then test for spark. then check all of your coilpacks to see if theyre working. im guessing its coilpacks.
I was thinking plugs for starters as well, and had the wife run out and get some pretty damn good plugs from advance while I was at work. Will put them in tomorrow morning and see what happens. I appreciate you taking time out to give your thoughts. I really enjoy my first VW hopefully this is not a sign of things to come lol

· Registered
517 Posts
Looks like you have a 2001 Golf. Which motor, 1.8 Turbo, 1.9 TDI, 2.0 or VR6?

If it's a gas motor, it sounds like you have a bad ignition coil and the fuel isn't burning in the cylinder or cylinders with the bad coil(s).

That would explain the black smoke, fuel smell and misfires.

If you have a 1.8 motor and cannot get the codes read, I would just buy 4 new coils and replace them all. They are about $25 - $30 each and are prone to failure.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like you have a 2001 Golf. Which motor, 1.8 Turbo, 1.9 TDI, 2.0 or VR6?

If it's a gas motor, it sounds like you have a bad ignition coil and the fuel isn't burning in the cylinder or cylinders with the bad coil(s).

That would explain the black smoke, fuel smell and misfires.

If you have a 1.8 motor and cannot get the codes read, I would just buy 4 new coils and replace them all. They are about $25 - $30 each and are prone to failure.
I was messing with it today, pulled the connector out of the back of one of the coils, and 2 of the 4 prongs on the connector were melted. Checked the other connectors and they were fine. So I just replaced that one connector figuring that HAD to be the problem, and alas, it still runs like sht. So i'm about $90 bucks in, I think i'm just going to try to get it to a shop, If i spend another $120 for something else that doesn't work, my wife will kill me. for real.:rocket:

· Registered
5 Posts
Find anything out yet?

I 100% agree that coils are the most common issue on that engine, but I have seen a few other scenarios that cause multiple misfires and excessive fuel. So if it was me this is what I would look for next.

Crankcase/PCV Hoses. There is a large block of hoses under the intake manifold for the PCV system. A large rubber elbow next to the block usually gets soft and rips open, this can cause a large enough vacuum leak to give multiple misfires. If you cant find the hoses im talking about then I can put up some images later.

Upstream 02 Sensor. If the upstream O2 Sensor is giving a false voltage then it may cause fuel trims to go off in the wrong direction and eventually cause misfires. One way to check this without a scan tool is to leave the sensor unpluged, disconnect the battery for 30min or so to clear the computer, and then start it up and see if it runs better.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Find anything out yet?

I 100% agree that coils are the most common issue on that engine, but I have seen a few other scenarios that cause multiple misfires and excessive fuel. So if it was me this is what I would look for next.

Crankcase/PCV Hoses. There is a large block of hoses under the intake manifold for the PCV system. A large rubber elbow next to the block usually gets soft and rips open, this can cause a large enough vacuum leak to give multiple misfires. If you cant find the hoses im talking about then I can put up some images later.

Upstream 02 Sensor. If the upstream O2 Sensor is giving a false voltage then it may cause fuel trims to go off in the wrong direction and eventually cause misfires. One way to check this without a scan tool is to leave the sensor unpluged, disconnect the battery for 30min or so to clear the computer, and then start it up and see if it runs better.

Thank you guys so much for all your help. I realize nobody has to take their time out to help a newbie, but I really appreciate it.

So instead of getting all 4 new coils, I went ahead and got 2, and figured maybe if only 1 or 2 or bad at least I didn't overspend for nothing. Turns out the car runs much better now. I can still tell that I should probably replace the other two, either that or I have a turbo lag that causes it to be unresponsive for a split second when taking off in 1st. But in any case, it drives much better.

So that takes care of that it seems. Next project is to get the side marker turn signal to work. Bought a new bulb, and that didn't do it. And then my a/c doesn't work it only blows on the highest setting. The A/C light only lights up on the 2nd setting, but obviously the 2nd setting doesn't work, so no A/C. But I'll give you guys a break, i'll put up a new post when I feel like working on those issues.:neutral:

· Registered
517 Posts
If the HVAC blower motor only works on high speed, the most common problem is a faulty blower motor resistor.

If the side marker bulb still doesn't work after replacing the bulb, it could be something simple, like you just need to cycle the key on and off. Could also be rust in the bulb socket, or possibly a bad bulb, yes just cause its new doesn't mean its good. Test the new bulb in the othe side marker socket just to make sure.

· Registered
37 Posts
Back to the original problem, I would definitely get the other two coils because if you're burning bad because of low voltage or retarded spark, you'll coat your o2 sensor and pollute your catalyst. In time it will be far more expensive to replace those two than the two extra coils will cost you. Anyway when one is bad, the other will not be much better. You might even get rid of the initial lag as a benefit and have the car running properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.