VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever changed an oilpan on a transversely mounted 1.8? I just stuck my finger through mine while pointing out a rusty spot to a friend. After spending hours trying to get the friggin thing out, I couldn't find a reconditioned part. I then had to go to a self serve wreckers and pull one off a wreck. This was the end of Day 1. Day 2 began with me triumphantly putting the new oilpan on, starting the car to find that there was no oil pressure! Anyways, long story short, the transversely mounted engine conveniently places the oil pan under the axle and sub-frame. To get the new one in I must have bumped the gasket off and it was sitting in the oil pan when I took it off again. I put a new gasket on, changed the filter cause I thought the gasket sealant might have screwed it and tryed again, finally at 11:30 pm on day two, I felt like running around the block cheering as the stupid thing finally came to life.

P.S. check out the much shorter and less random post in the Fox, Corrado, Scirroco section. I need a bit of advice.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
well, it sounds like you got it fixed so i think this is a "yay" topic. if so then good job. if not and you need help, then sry but i cant really help.

·
Registered
324 Posts
it always seems like the simplest stuff on cars, ie-oilpans and changing, is the biggest pain in the ass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts