VW Forum banner

141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
so theres a slight hiccup in the build. i got the call no one wants to hear from their engine machinist. my spare block turned out to be no good. he bored it and couldnt get one of the cylinders to clean up after a .020" overbore.
i was a bit panicked at first, but the solution is im going to borrow a 1.8t out of a friend of mines mk4 that he doesnt drive cause it needs a transmission and build that block, and put my aeb on that and give him my motor when the built motor goes in. its a lot of juggling around but thats the easiest way to do it given my circumstances

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
the block was sitting for awhile unkept in my garage and had started to get some rust on it which im assuming one of the cylinders had some pitting. its such a buzzkill but at the same time i would rather him tell me that instead of telling me what i want to hear. the guy builds all the supra motors for titan motorsports

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
hmmm, im looking more for wheels that were abused and need tlc and refinishing, i have something sinister planned for a color combo. im still leaning towards the 3sdm's for some reason. rs's would be nice. a friend of mine has a wheel business down here so im waiting for him to find something or something i can build as i go. i promise, the next set of wheels i bolt onto this car, will be something no one has ever seen, which is hard to do on an mk4 but i think i can do it
i can. im doing it right now.. with a set of wheels that were "played" and just one upped the game with something no one has done.
:p<3

but sadly since you said you have a buddy in the wheel game.. i cant disclose what this wild build is. for fear of it being stolen and completed before mine :) so youll have to just wait til theyre finished and i post pics.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
haha im interested in seeing what you have planned. i have since picked up a set of wheels ;) theyre 3 piece, i just finished painting them, only thing left is to assemble them and seal them.

motor build update: i found a donor car, if anyone needs any mk4 parts shoot me a pm. the motor is out, going to disassemble it and then drop her off at the machine shop

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Update on the build: the block is at the machine shop being bored/honed and assembled. After that i will get the head done then bolt the two together and put on the timing belt and I'm one step closer to having it running. Pics of the new wheels will be up in a day or so. Sowo prep has me busy as hell trying to get ready. Anyone else going that wants to chill let me know

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Gl with it man im gearing up to do mine really soon going to do everything myself even the engine building maybe will do a diy writeup on some things along the way lol

did he charge you for the first block that was no good?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #149 (Edited)
he was cool about it and said theres no charge for the rough bore he did on the first block. i didnt think he would charge me because im spending a good chunk of money on the short block assembly with him. i told him there is no rush on it but im going to call one day this week and see where hes at with it. i was going to do the motor myself, but having never built a motor before, id rather not learn on mine. its worth it to me to pay the machinist to build it for peace of mind when i line up at the line that the motor isnt going to come apart when i hit the 2 step.

but in the meantime i treated myself to some new wheels finally. those of you who follow me on instagram (@farfegnugen) already know that. i post all my updates to instagram before they make it onto here.

try not to hate too much. i know my car sucks cause its static and not on rotiforms. even though it left everyone behind going through the mountain roads when i felt comfortable i wasnt going to lose it off the edge and roll down the mountain.

the wheels are 17x8.5 and 17x9.5 oz futuras. offset is unknown but im running 25mm 5x112 adapters all around for them and im running 235/40/17 tires all around. i wanted a 225/40/17 but since thats a nearly impossible tire for me to get ahold of i decided to go with 235 all around. the faces are painted mk6 toffee brown with aluminum center cap rings painted black with flat clear and gold hardware with polished lips. when i get the itch to change it up im going to rebuild them with bigger lips, smaller adapters or possibly a redrill for even bigger lips. possibly an 18" conversion. that or im going to trade up for something rarer. maybe a set of brotiforms

IMG_4702 by jreefaddict, on Flickr

IMG_4701 by jreefaddict, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
thanks i think a lot of people mistake it for a bmp gli. its a toyota black metallic.

i love that first pic cause it actually captures the metallics in the paint and the color of the wheels.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
that was the reasoning i picked the wider of the two. a 225 wouldve been a happy medium, equal stretch, but if i cant reliably source replacement tires in that size then id rather not hunt for them.

its surreal that this project is actually coming together and its more than the pipe dream with a little pile of parts stacked up. next on my list is definately another dd so i can stop dd this car. especially after the motor is done and put in id rather not dd, just because theres no need for 400+hp to take me to work and back. if i could id take a bicycle but down here its too dangerous and a little farther than id like to ride on the way home

·
4,053 Posts
Why put all this work into it and not drive it though? A car is meant to be driven.

Every time this happens I swear people either end up parting their cars or selling them complete.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
i agree cars are meant to be driven, and im building the car to be able to handle a lot of abuse but i just dont want to daily drive it to and from work anymore, id rather it stay home in the garage and i can always take it out when i get home to go somewhere. i just get no enjoyment out of driving the car to and from work. i do enjoy the car, i dont want you guys to think i dont enjoy the car anymore, i just would rather not HAVE to drive it everyday.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I'll drive an ice cream truck like i stole it to work and have fun (perhaps im a jackass)

400hp is fine, DDable is more of a cam/reliability thing. You figure there's a whole lot of cars with well over 400 from the factory that even grandmas are driving around(though those motors are under much less stress than a 4 cyl pressured to push out 100 hp per cyl! small cyls too)

get a cheap DD I guess if it bugs you that much haha. Just remember your VW isn't a collector car.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
its no collector car and isnt worth shit on blue book, im sure i could dd it with no problem, but i do have plans for heavy cams down the road, im getting the head built to be able to handle them, at that point it surely wont be an everyday car. i would feel more comfortable thrashing on it knowing if i broke something id just tow it home and then worry about it whenever cause i have something else to get me around. i want the convienience and luxury of being able to leave the mk4 at home if i want to cause theres sometimes id rather not drive it depending on where im going.

but build related i called the machine shop and he said he hasnt done much to the block which was fine with me because i told him to please take his time theres no rush. i still have loads more things to do before the motor goes in anyway so theres no sense having him rush to get it done. then i have to figure out exactly what i want to do to the head and then get that work done, and then onward to assembly. this build is taking so long because i can only contribute about $100 a week towards the car unless i take on some side work which isnt consistent cause no one around here wants good body and paint work or the car is just absolutely trashed and one of those id rather not touch. even though i cant contribute loads of money at a time thats no excuse to sacrifice quality of the parts going into it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
`

so, back from the dead, not sure whos still around but i just finally found my log in, made a new password and figured id update everyoneheres the short story of where ive been in the last 4 years:

had a premature timing belt failure on the old motor in 2016 luckily i had another daily, car ended up being parked for 2 years while i finally got my shit together and put the new setup in. i had a problem finding a shop that would tune eurodyne and almost gave up and put a haltech in out of frustration but now its tuned on eurodyne by a semi-local vw shop. i dont have any real numbers yet but i did make it to fixxfest in bradenton this past november with the official mileage on the build sitting at 80 miles when it was parked in the show field. im currently halfway or so through my break in so no real power numbers yet but it definitely feels like its going to be a solid setup.

im looking forward to getting back into the scene, when the timing belt went i fell out of the scene and became that guy sitting on the side lines which was honestly miserable. feels good to be back.

heres some pics of where its at now

141 - 160 of 170 Posts