VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about what to do with my 8v. should i swap something else in? (within reasonable price).... but then i thought, "what about a total rebuild" If i were to follow through with this rebuild what can i do to get the most out of my 8v. So my question to all you is what should i do if i decide to rebuild my motor? like with pistons, cam, polishing and porting (i think), etc. etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd say the max na power that you can get out of your 8v is about 150 hp. If you bore and stroke it to a 2.0 and put on a tuned head. but this is gonna cost you more than if you were to just put in a 16v probably. Which can be cheaply made to push about 140 with minor mods. However the 8v's seem to be less problematic due to their simplicity. This of course is just my opinion but I have an 8v and thought about just building it up. I wound up deciding to just save up and go flat out with a vr6. The vr6 swap can run between 2500 and 3500 depending on who you know and what you can find. I am not a mechanic nor do I claim to be but this info is to the best of my knowlegde. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I like my 8v, but in the search for more power will be swapping it out within the next year. I have a P&P solid lifter head, g grind cam, autotech hih lift springs and an adjustabl;e cam gear. I thought about the aba bottom end. It pulls hard and is quite fun. But i don't wanna dump all kinds of money inot it and not have too much power. So I'm gonna go 16v. good luck with your decision. There are a lot of ways to make an 8v fast. a turbo is one.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dhuntervw:
I'd say the max na power that you can get out of your 8v is about 150 hp. If you bore and stroke it to a 2.0 and put on a tuned head. but this is gonna cost you more than if you were to just put in a 16v probably. Which can be cheaply made to push about 140 with minor mods. However the 8v's seem to be less problematic due to their simplicity. This of course is just my opinion but I have an 8v and thought about just building it up. I wound up deciding to just save up and go flat out with a vr6. The vr6 swap can run between 2500 and 3500 depending on who you know and what you can find. I am not a mechanic nor do I claim to be but this info is to the best of my knowlegde. Hope it helps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The VR swap can range from $800 to $3500 depending on who you know. At $800 it's almost worth it. VRs into A2s are getting to be like 16vs in A1s. All to common (yeah, I know... I have an A1 16v). And why? It makes the car handle like crap, and a stock VR doesn't have that much over a stock 2L 16v. The VR does sound way cooler though.

As for projectmk2... an OBD1 2L swap would probably be a good start for you. If you plan on one day turbocharging it, use an OBD2 system as it works better when chipped to a turbo system. 16v swaps are a pita on cars like yours. They're usually worth it, but for the work you should have just bought a 16v car.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i did a 2.0 crossflow swap in my car and i think that its a great way to get a decent amount of power with the chance to make more without emptying your pockets....try it out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts