VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live the HID "Twinkle" so i looked some up last night the only ones i could find for the whole kit was almost 2-grand-US! good gosh! does anyone have these or know where we can find a reasonable price?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
www.hids4less.com but i think when i get mine ill get some catz hids. they are just the bulbs with all the hid stuff (not sure what its called) but its the box thing and stuff. same as all the other ones but there is no headlight housing. you use your stock one. and they are not projection.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are some great FAQ sites out there about the pros and cons (mostly cons) of aftermarket HID setups. Sorry, I'm too lazy to post links, and I can't remember where I saw them. But here's a summary of the cons:
1. Aftermarket kits that fit into your exsisting lamp assembly will have an improper beam pattern; halogen and HID need different assemblies to have a properly adjusted beam.
2. Your bright lights will still be halogen.
3. According to Consumer Reports, HID lamps, provide too much light too low (i.e. not far enough in front of the car), giving halogen lamps an advantage lighting the road far ahead of the car. In that respect, HIDs are too much like fog lamps. That could be a disadvantage when traveling at high speeds ("driving ahead of your lights") or on dark, twisty roads.

I'm no expert on HIDs, but until they're cheaper, and available as an option on new mkIV's, why not spend several thousand clams on...more power!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree with you completely on that one. Sure HIDs look nice but, they aren't really that much better at lighting up the road. You could get some nice hyperwhites for like $80 or some driving lights (rally style) and they will light up the road better than the stocks. I had some hyperwhites on my last car and they looked real nice, kind of that white/blue light.

Plus, with the money you save, you could be a new turbo kit that will make you faster instead of just prettier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh, about those blue-tinted bulbs, too. Consumer reports said they don't last as long, so if anyone's getten 'em, just know that first!

My Hella Micro DE fogs, by the way, are much brighter than my headlamps, and they light up the sides of the road (think "deer and cats").

[ August 14, 2003: Message edited by: bayarea ]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
yeah I got a set of the blue tinted lights. looked good, only had them for about 3 months or so. they both went out within a day of eachother. I want to get the sylvania hyperwhites.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats what i was thinking too, but i get the impression the sylvania lights are higher wattage and will melt your harness, anyone know if this is true? becouse i dont mind paying alot for stuff as long as it works well and lasts!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I also have the silverstars and they are the stock wattage so i'm not worried about the harness melting.
jon

·
Registered
127 Posts

Be careful with after market blue bulbs. Make sure they are the same wattage because I had them start to melt my harness. Threw them away when I saw that. I got my HID lights fron performance cafe. $1395 shipped

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If i would get a HID system, i would go with a whole set-up like your's boosted. I rather have something that has the right light pattern then just putting the HID bulbs in with a pattern that won't work.
jon

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah I got a set of the blue tinted lights. looked good, only had them for about 3 months or so. they both went out within a day of eachother. I want to get the sylvania hyperwhites.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i read somthing about hid having ignitors whats the deal with that? i was under the impression hid was just bouncing lightwaves in a sphere and out the front...im pretty confused now!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midnight VR6:
i read somthing about hid having ignitors whats the deal with that? i was under the impression hid was just bouncing lightwaves in a sphere and out the front...im pretty confused now!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason is they run at much higher voltage, Marcus. That is also why the HID bulbs ship (or at least should ship) with balasts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys..I'm new on this Forum..but i think i can be of a big help to those of you who are looking to get some HIDs without spending a fortune.
I have McCulloch HID Kits for all housings..
see my website for pictures, prices and information.
www.angelfire.com/ultra/brightlightz

If trust is an issue, i have a verified paypal account, an Ebay account with plenty of positive feedback and feedback from other customers on other forums.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email me..
[email protected]

Thanks

Dannywww.angelfire.com/ultra/brightlightz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts