VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm accelerating, my car produces a sound as if a tire is hitting a loose panel. Its like wrruuuunnnng and it only happens when I'm accelerating. When I'm deccelerating, it goes away slowly.

I checked my four tires and the panels look okay. No signs of any problem.

Could this possibly be a muffler issue? Mine is a 97 Jetta.

Any ideas???

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
is it a consistant whir? or is it more of something like the sound of a bad wheel bearing, making a constant clicking, as if you had a rock stuck in the tread of your tire?

does the direction of the wheel effect the sound at all, i.e. is it louder during a left turn?

are the brakes new?

is the sound coming from the wheel well?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys got it right however, before I read everyone's responses I checked the rear tires and removed the brake drum. I found out that the inner and outer hub bearings are bad on the driver side. I decided to replace the bearings on both sides for preventive maintenance coz I was told in the past that, if one breaks, the other will follow suit.

Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
i used to have a manifold heat sheild vibration when i would first start up my car and would get louder as i accelerated. but once it got heated up, it would go away. i ended up prying up the loose piece of metal and that worked alright...

·
Registered
190 Posts
i once had a problem like that in my 97 vr6 but it turned out that i broke my engine bracket sucks huh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts