VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum,

I have a jetta 2008 automatic (with clutchless direct shift) -- not a TDI.

When I am stopped on an incline and want to move, the car slips back a few (a couple?) inches before the gear "catches" and it moves forward (or backward, if it's in reverse).

It's something that used to happen with my older, manual, rabbit (a diesel) -- my first car ever... But it's not something that I expected to happen in a car with an automatic gearshift, like the new Jetta.

It is not a huge problem but can be annoying at times (for ex., when I am trying to park on a hill).

Has anyone had this problem with an automatic Jetta?

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Some gearboxes are just different from others, the gear just might not engage as fast as a different one. Our 2009 HHR at work will roll back significantly even when already engaged in drive on a hill.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
I just found out that there was recently a recall on the DSG gearbox in select 08-09 models with the 2.0T motor, you should go to the dealership and see if yours qualifies. There are over 14000 trans. on recall currently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your DSG transmission is working exactly as it should.
Think of it as a Manual transmission with an automatic clutch that anticipates up and down shifts and makes them for you.

The DSG is in gear with the clutch disengaged when you are stopped. When you let off the brake the clutch starts to engage. If you are on a hill you will roll back a bit.

Its the nature of the beast.

The recall is on a temperature sensor in the transmission.

The symptom of a bad sensor is false neutrals.
While driving the car seems to go into neutral and the dash lights will flash.
You will need to pull over. Shut off the car for a few minutes. Start it up and be on your way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts