VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I did my front rotors today so I figured I would do a DIY.
Instead of stock rotors I got the Audi TT rotors and carries from ECStuning.
I already did pads earlier so that's why you won't see a pad portion in this.

Tools for the job:
Brake Cleaner
7 mm Hex Socket
21mm socket (varies. That's the size on mine, but I've seen a few other sizes too.)
Flat-head screwdriver
Phillips screw driver
Breaker Bar (if necessary)
High Quality grease

Here are the rotors freshly unboxed. Make sure you spray them down with brake cleaner.

Step 1: Loosen the lugs on the tire, and jack up the car. Once the jacks stands are set you remove the tire. It should (roughly) look like this:

Obviously my rotors were warped haha.

Step 2: Remove the clip with a flat-head screwdriver. Not too hard.

Step 3: Spray some brake cleaner (or other various breaker solution) to this bolt here. This is the carrier bolt, and there are two. One here, and the other right below it. I would also disconnect the wear sensor since it's right there.
You'll only have the wear sensor on the drivers side.

Step 4: Remove the plastic caps on the caliper bolts, and take the 7mm socket to 'em. These won't actually come all the way out, but you should be able to feel when they are out.

Step 5: Go ahead and take the caliper off the carrier now. I hung it up on my suspension, but as long as you don't let it hang from the brake cable, it should be fine. I know most people will say to push in the caliper piston with some kind of clamp, but the TT rotors are the same size, so there wasn't a need.

Step 6: Take the carrier off the rotor. Just get those two bolts out, and the carrier should come away pretty easily.
Once the carrier is off remove the hub. You will have to unscrew the small phillips screw that helps align the rotor, or in some cases it can be a torx screw. It should look like this without the rotor.

Step 7: Take the new rotor and put it on the hub. You can take some time here to clean up a little down here, but mine was pretty clean.
Screw that small alignment screw into the rotor, and put the new carrier on.
You will need to apply a little grease to the carrier bolts before you put them back in.
(picture from other side of car ;P)

Step 8: Put the caliper back on, and screw in the caliper screw. Don't forget to put the little plastic caps on! Reconnect the wear sensor.

Step 9: Put the wheel back on, and start the other side!

Not too hard, and I definitely recommend them over OEMs.

Before

After

Credit to ECStuning for making some great stuff available.
OEM / Performance Parts for Volkswagen, Audi, and BMW - ECS Tuning

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
I believe that kit includes hawk HPS pads

I'm doing this sometime this summer when my pads weardown all the way, doing some stainless lineswhile im at it too.

Awesome DIY :K:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. What pads are you running?
Hawk HPS. They didn't come with the kit though, but I believe that's an option.

Damn! I should've done my lines too. Oh well, I'll do 'em when I do the rears.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sticky?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Schweet!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I notice that the Audi rotors are slightly larger than the stock vw ones. Will this make a difference if I put my stock rims on during the winter? Will there be enough clearance? Also, I was on ECStuning and there were a couple of different options. Do you have a part #? If someone else has asked this Im sorry to repeat but Im on my iPhone at work lol.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I notice that the Audi rotors are slightly larger than the stock vw ones. Will this make a difference if I put my stock rims on during the winter? Will there be enough clearance? Also, I was on ECStuning and there were a couple of different options. Do you have a part #? If someone else has asked this Im sorry to repeat but Im on my iPhone at work lol.
Yeah man, you have to have at least 16" of wheel space to clear.
Heeeerrre is the link to the kit I got.

Volkswagen Jetta IV 1.8T > Braking > Big Brake OEM > ES#412 ECS OEM Big Brake Kit - (TT Carrier, 12.3 One Piece Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotor) - MK4TTBBKNPXS

You'll need pads, but for the most part it was about a 1 hr install.
I know my stock wheels are 16" but mine's the wolfsburg. I think standard wheels on a VW are 16 anyway, but double check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha I just realized we have the same car. I have an 01 Wolfsburg in Black also. Are these your rims? Oh and ty for the link I think I'm going to do the upgrade this coming week. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
They had a set of those on Craigslist for 100 bucks and I missed out, I called the guy and someone was already on the way to pick them up.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha I just realized we have the same car. I have an 01 Wolfsburg in Black also. Are these your rims? Oh and ty for the link I think I'm going to do the upgrade this coming week. :D
Yep! Those are my stock steelies.
Although a series of mishaps has left me with only one. Which I use for a spare until I get my 5th TSW all rubbered up.
GL with the install!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts