VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I came out of a gas station and my 2001 jetta would not start. All the lights came on, windows worked but would not turn over.

Long story short, I was able to jump start it and get it home. I picked up a new starter on my way home assuming that was the problem. Before I changed it, I pulled the clutch pedal switch and test that...tested okay. Then I removed the old starter and bench tested that. THe solenoid was working, but the motor wasn't. The pinion extended when I hooked it up to a battery but did not turn. I installed the new starter, but still have the same problem. After that, I checked the starter relay (assuming the google response I got led me to the right one) and that tested okay.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Interesting dilemma. so the new starter is also not spinning? Are you sure your battery is fully charged? I am assuming that this issue would not throw a code for you to scan for. I would think that a new starter, if jumped, would spin if the battery had enough charge to spin it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting dilemma. so the new starter is also not spinning? Are you sure your battery is fully charged? I am assuming that this issue would not throw a code for you to scan for. I would think that a new starter, if jumped, would spin if the battery had enough charge to spin it...
I'm not sure the battery is fully charged. I assumed (dangerous I know) that the battery is okay since I was able to roll windows up and down, all dash lights came on, headlight on and bright. I will verify that when I get home from work.

I did not test the new starter before installing. I should have, but again...made an assumption. I know better, just didn't practice what I know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the fact that you were able to jump start it says charging system not starter. the starter will not spin without the correct amount of voltage, which is why it worked when you jumped it, but the new one didn't work when you gave it power. test battery and alternator and take back the starter. My 01 systematically dropped the radio, then the dash lights, then the headlights, then died while on the road. replaced the battery, which died within 3 days of driving because the alternator was doing nothing. They're expensive and suck to replace, but that was the issue and has been groovy since. might as well yard out the battery and alternator at the same time and bring them down to the local parts store for a free load test when you're returning that starter.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've seen many times people assume that just because they have lights in the car that the battery is fine. When mine crapped out, it had enough juice to power everything in the car, just not enough to start it. Definitely get it and the alternator checked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the battery. It's okay.
Tested new starter in place by jumping over the two terminals...car cranked over Starter okay
Checked all the relays...all picking up. Did not check for continuity.
Checked all fuses.
Lastly, I pulled the small wire off the starter solenoid, put my test light on it with a good ground and had my lovely assistant try to start the car. No light. Does this wire come directly from the ignition switch? It looks like it on the schematic. I'm now thinking bad wire or ignition switch.

Thoughts??

Did not check altenator yet. Would that affect the starter???

·
Registered
140 Posts
My old sentra ser, had a starter issue...That sometimes it would not do anything, when i turned the key.we disconnected the clutch stop..And wired in a button under the hood.turn the key to on, open the hood, take the car outta gear, and push the button.she cranked right over.never could figure out why it did that.drove her that way for years.maybe either wire under the dash,or something with the switch on the column.i ma not electrician, but those come to mind.our old z, had a problem once where it would warm up.and a loose connection would get too hot, and come undone just enough, where it would lose power...and the car would cut off, cooled off it would start rigt up.a few hours of rooting around under the dash, found it.re saudered it,and she ran fine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
my father said maybe starter relay is not getting juice, to crank the starter over.not flipping the switch in the relay, to amp up the power...to flip the starter over.he was a electrician for many years.he is awesome at this,.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put the test light to the ignition switch last night. Was able to get the switch to work intermittently. Picking up a new one today. I'm confident that this is the problem. Also retested my old starter and was able to get that to work by tapping the solenoid. Then it didn't, then it did. Leaving the new one in. In hindsight, I had a few times over the last 6 months where the car didn't start until I turned the key twice. Should have seen it coming I guess.

Thanks for all the help!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts