VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2001 jetta GlS 2.0 gives me a mileage of
23-25 in the city and around 28-30 on the highway(long road trips). currently am using 87 Octane (Regular) gas.
Is that what the standard mileage is? somebody was telling me they get around 28 in the city and 35 on the highway!

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Try running 89, mileage should be a little better. Sounds a little low for the 2.0, but nothing to scarry. What are your driving habbits?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
higher octane burns slower, and 87-89 is less then $2 difference per fill....Give it a try. Might want to clean your MAF. Have any CEL's on? What airfilter do you have?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Mass Air Flow Sensor: Measures the amount of air entering the engine. When these go bad some signs are, poor gas mileage, crappy idol, poor responce...
Check Engine Light: Your cars Diagnostics trigger the light if there is a problem with your engine...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Pff I use 93 and its usually trip to see my g/f which is about 9 miles one way, and then work which is about 10 miles one way, and I put $10 of gad every 2nd day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[Mass Air Flow Sensor: Measures the amount of air entering the engine. When these go bad some signs are, poor gas mileage, crappy idol, poor responce...
Check Engine Light: Your cars Diagnostics trigger the light if there is a problem with your engine...]

Mass Air Flow Sensor - How do I check that?

Check Engine Light - None of the lights are on. so that can be ruled out.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean there aren't any codes in your system. Sometimes the CEL doesn't light up for some codes...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the car inspected before buying and the dealer told me it doesnt have any codes. Ofcourse that was like 5K miles before.
If i need to check the codes now what do I need to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Find someone local to you who has a VAG-Com to scan your car, or take it to your local dealer...it may cost you some money at the dealer, however.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Man, Some of the guys that know me can vouch for my driving habits. Pretty spirited everytime I get behind the wheel. I get 32+ constantly with a mix of highway/backroad driving. I use Sunoco 89 everytime. The engine has 80k on it. Hope that helps a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts