VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.....first off...I am new to the site...just registered a few minutes ago!!!..anyways, I just traded my wife's 97 Neon with ~110K miles for a '03 Platinum Grey GLI....bought it in Burlington, NC(which is about 60 miles from Raleigh) last nite....the drive home was awesome...so far, we love the car....the power is so smooth and the torque is great!!!!...it pulls in every gear....we test drove the car on 3-4 separate occasions just to make sure we were making the right decision....and we did!!!...I hope to learn a lot from the folks on this board and look forward to a happy existence with the GLI....peace!!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!! You got 110K out of your neon? My wife had a 97 neon as well. That POS had a busted head gasket, a tranny leak, a bad CV joint, and all the paint peeling off at 40K for us. They gave us 500 trade in, and I still think they got robbed. I am so glad we got rid of that piece. Other than my '76 Ford Maverick, that is the worst car I have ever owned.

Anyway, had to vent. Congrats on the new GLI. Im glad you joined the "brotherhood of the dub". Hope we can help you with any questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
HOLY CRAP!!!! You got 110K out of your neon? My wife had a 97 neon as well. That POS had a busted head gasket, a tranny leak, a bad CV joint, and all the paint peeling off at 40K for us. They gave us 500 trade in, and I still think they got robbed. I am so glad we got rid of that piece. Other than my '76 Ford Maverick, that is the worst car I have ever owned.

Anyway, had to vent. Congrats on the new GLI. Im glad you joined the "brotherhood of the dub". Hope we can help you with any questions.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude...no lie....our Neon had the exact same problems....the oil light was on(and it always had the proper amount of oil in it) which probably meant it had head gasket problems, it was leaking tranny fluid, needed a tune-up b/c the service engine soon light was on and we replaced the bearings and rotors on the front end on both sides last summer!!!!...and the worst part of the situation was that we were like ~$5K upside down in the car....the car was a freaking money pit and the biggest POS I have ever seen...we ended up getting like 800 bucks for the car and I feel like we got a deal...amazing....exact same problems....I will never, ever buy a Dodge again....

The GLI is awesome...the gearbox is sooooo smooth...I am going to go home and read the manual to learn how to play with all the "doo-hickies" in the car....

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hey, congrats on the new VDub. Lets just hope your new car experience goes better than mine has thus far. Don't get me wrong, love the thing to death, just alittle frusterating. But enjoy, and welcome to the forum, hope to see plenty of you around here.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Congratulations on your GLI. Please post some pics if you can.

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
174 Posts
The GLI ROCKS; I have the same set-up Reflex Silver with the 6-speed. I've only put about 3000 miles on it so far, but the passing power is incredible. Be careful though, at the blink of an eye, that thing will jump from 60-100. Good luck with it. Also, my dealer told me not to do the first oil change until 5000 miles; I did it at 2000 under the advice of the sevice dept. and the gas mileage increased significantly.

P.S. Props on the Willy Wonka Welcome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts