VW Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new 2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T last thursday. It was FAST very FAST, it has a 4c engine @ 180HP w/ turbo. But the thing is the last couple of days it hasn't seemed to be very fast, it seems to be equal to my 115HP Civic HX. Is it just my head? Do I get use the the speed? How can I check to see if the turbo is kicking on? I have been pushing the engine a little hard (even though your not suppose to push new engine), but only off the line.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well where do you live??? Weather can make the car act weird sometimes. Also i know you just bought it but one thing that will help the turbo lag when you shift is a new DV. That was my second purchase mod, first was exhaust.
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Congrats on your new DUB !!! Nice Choice.

I will and never did push my baby past 5000 RPM until I reached 5K. Also I never pushed it past 6000 RPM untill I reached 7K Kilometres.

Another good idea is to run your car on a highway at around 60MPH at least every 3K Kilometres once during your total ownership of any car.

In case you don't know what Kilometres are divide the figures by 1.6.

Don't ask me why. I just do it. Never have had any engine problems. Also I do listen to my brother (17 Years Mechanic) workded for Porsche, VW, Audi, Nissan and Ifniniti. They all do recommend the same procedure.

Of course they won't tell you that much when you pick up your new car, because most of us would be turned off by that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in SLC, UT. Its about 40 right now. I don't know if they kind of gas would matter? I put medium grade in it. It's really weird, when I bought the car I was like HOLY SHIT, now it seems like my old civic. 1st has same power (seems), 2nd seems like there is no turbo @ all. and 3rd seems to be slower than when I bought it. Would punching it off the line screw the turbo up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't know, I havn't driven it over 60mph yet (and don't plan to), I havn't pushed the rpms over 5k nor do i plan to. Would the grade in gas affect what im seeing?

·
Registered
166 Posts
yes, the grade of gas will effect (or is it affect) your car. the 1.8t is a high compression engine, that should be given good high octane.
atleast thats my opinion.,,. your manuel will tell you not to use under a certain octane, but i dont have the book readily available so i cant tell ya
good luck with it

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It could just be that you are settling into your new car. Mine seemed really fast, then got kinda dull at first, but then I got the chance to drive my old nissan and I could imagine how sluggish it was. I think your frame of reference may just be cathing up with your new definition of performance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dunno...definitely try changing your octane gas...put the highest in it. Otherwise, see if you can drive a slower car, see if that feels the same...congrats on your car BTW!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Also, when i first got my car i thought it felt all fast and everything. Then i got a APR 93 octane chip and that made a world of a diffrence. When ever i got back to stock program, it feels like a diffrent car. I think some of it is in your head too. I know i feel the same way sometimes
jon

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
It could just be that you are settling into your new car. Mine seemed really fast, then got kinda dull at first, but then I got the chance to drive my old nissan and I could imagine how sluggish it was. I think your frame of reference may just be cathing up with your new definition of performance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same thing here. All it took to cure that was one drive around town in my '88 Toyota Corolla!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.