VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 99 jetta gls and am in need of some help. I got the car for free but I need to fix it, which is totally worth it.

When i start the car it will bog down and stall after a few seconds. It throws the codes P1544:Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal Too High and P0121:Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Range/Performance Problem.

If I unplug the sensor the car runs fine. Obviously I want to fix it and not drive wit it unplugged. The previous owner said that he changed out the TPS but he got one from a junk yard and is still doing the same thing. He said that his son took it to get the timing belt changed and he thinks that the timing was off a couple of teeth.

Would the timing belt affect the TPS? If it was the timing belt wouldn't it not work at all regardless if the TPS was connected or not? Do you think it's the TPS and he just picked up a dud at the junkyard?

Please help. It would be sweet if I got a $4k car for free and the fix was less than $100.

Thanks alot guys!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called the dealership and apparently you can't just buy the TPS, you have to get the whole throttle body which has the sensor on it for just under $750. Expensive, but still if I only put $750 into this car I still got a great deal.

Just curious, what would happen if I drove for an extended period on time wit the TPS unplugged. Not that I plan n doing it, just curious.

Thanks.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
i heard you can clean the contacts loacated inside. the black box looking section on the throttle body housing is held on by metal clips. you remove those clips, remove a gear inside and clean the contacts. if you have to replace the whole throttle body check out ecstuning they carry them. im sure other sites do but i found it on theirs. alot cheaper than 750.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a couple more questions. Bare with me as I'm new to VW.

I've read on some forums that you can "adapt" your throttle body by disconnecting both cables off the battery and touch them together. Has anyone heard of this?

Also I read that it spitting out p0121 and p1544 that it could be a bad ground. Does anyne know where the ground would be for a 99 jetta 2.0 5 speed?

What boggles me is that when I unplug the connector to the throttle body the car runs fine.

Thanks again.

And FUBAR, I did find some throttle bodies that were a lot cheaper. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wish me luck

Well I tried a few things today and research alot to. I cleaned out the throttle body and checked all the grounds and now p1543 pops up by itself. I read about a few people who had the same exact issue and symptoms and it turned out they needed a throttle body adaptation. I tried the diy method and no luck. So I've got an appointment at the dealership tomorrow at 1:30. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Should only be $100.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Have fun with the stealership!

My advice to you is call around town and find a garage that knows their way around VW's. I know here the difference between going to my regular garage and the stealership is $35/hour in labor. Definitely adds up fast!

Just an FYI for future repairs that you might encounter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have fun with the stealership!

My advice to you is call around town and find a garage that knows their way around VW's. I know here the difference between going to my regular garage and the stealership is $35/hour in labor. Definitely adds up fast!

Just an FYI for future repairs that you might encounter.

That's what I did with my 07 RAM and the garage I brought it to ripped me off and replace stuff that didn't need to be. They weren't even on the right track. I took it straight to the dealership after that. That whole thing left me with a bad taste.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's done

Well, It's done!!

All my jetta needed was a throttle adaptation. $100 later and I'm done.

Kinda funny, at first te dealership told me they tried to adapt it twice and that error came up so my TB must be bad. So I told them to make sure te TB was plugged in, you think they would have especially because I told them it wuld only drive with it unplugged. Turns out they never checked it. Anyways all is good. At least I got a good cleaning from it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts