VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a GTI. Maybe new, maybe used, but I've been looking and they look like a sweet car. I just want the rundown BEFORE I buy one for once. What years are good, what to watch out for, which engine is better, which one's perform best etc. Thanks in advance for input.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
well the gti's are broken down into 2 categories. the gti 1.8t turbo(4 cylinder 20 valve engine with a turbo) or the vr6(6 cylinder engine)

both engines are good but the gti 1.8t's have a coil pack problem(search "coil pack's" in the mk4 forum and you'll get a run down of what this problem is) which volkswagen will fix without any problems. the 2000-2001 1.8t engine's have 150 horsepower and 2002+ have 180hp. the only difference is the turbo psi level(i think). either way after chipping a 2000-2001 and a 2002+ you'll basically end up with the same amount of horsepower.

the vr6 is a good engine with a lot of power. the 1999.5-2001 have 174 horsepower. the 2002's have 201 hp.

now the question is do you want a car that u can easily tune and get lot's of power or do u want to leave the engine stock? the easiest to tune is the 1.8t but if you want good stock power than go for the vr6.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

What he said is true unless you were looking into an older model. If you wanna get on of the older model then the 1.8t isn't available. You can still get the vr6 in the mk3. If you were gonna go mk2 or mk1 then the only choices are 16v for the mk2 and 8v for the mk1. If you don't know which are what then check out all the forums(mk1-Mk4) Look at the top it'll have a pic of what each generation looks like. Then you can go from there and get into engines and all that stuff. Hope this helps. And goo luck in your search for a dub.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
WELCOME TO VWF! Like you've been told already, there's the VR6 and 1.8T, there's also a GTI with the 2.0 (115HP). If you're looking to keep it stock or have a LOT of money to modify it, go with the VR6, if you want to do some mods, but don't have a ton of money, 1.8T is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
well, i personally like the MKII, but thats cuz i have one. welcome to the forum. i would say what everyone else has already said, but they said it, so i cant.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just recently bought my new 2003 GTI 1.8T. I LOVE IT! I have had a Honda and a Mazda, and neither compair to the GTI! I cannot really tell you any technical info so since I am a new owner, but I am sure you will find plenty here on the forum. Good Luck!

Jenn

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
the best way for you to decide is to go to the dealer and test drive one after another... and if your not sure then drive them again... everyone has their own opinion but ur the one that is going to be paying $$ for the car

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
the best way for you to decide is to go to the dealer and test drive one after another... and if your not sure then drive them again... everyone has their own opinion but ur the one that is going to be paying $$ for the car<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agree. test drive, check your money situation, and see what you got. good luck with your new purchace. welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i am the happy owner of a 1997 GTi with the 2.0 liter engine. it is probably the weakest of the three choices (well, it definitely is...). I like it, the car is still a blast to drive. i would recommend that you test drive each kind of engine before buying. if i had done that, i would have opted for the 1.8T. that's my two cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you looked at the 20th Anniversary Edition GTI? 6spd 1.8T

They have some great colors: Black Magic Pearl; Imola Yellow; & Jazz Blue.

Personal number plaque with only 4,200 made (200 for canada, no numbers for them).

BEAUTIFUL car. I really love mine 110% better than my 02 1.8t. They are only a couple grand more than an 03 1.8t. Not too much room for negotiation on these bad boys though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts