VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, I find myself posting because I don't know about something. I like the Kamei grills, but all the sites i have seen them at have been homemade "Joe and Bob's grills" sites, does Kamei have a site? And if i get this grill how involved is this install, could i do it myself? What all do you have to do to install it?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I am considering getting appears black in the pictures, it isn't the one with the body/plastic material, but the black mesh one with the red Kamei badge. Will the actual grill need painted or just the hood filler piece for where my VW emblem protruded into the hood? I need to know because i recently hydroplaned into the back of another car and the only damage was my grill cracking (thank god)and I need to replace it ASAP.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I believe this is the one you are talking about. I have the same one as in the picture.

The cheapest place on the net for these is www.vwturbo.com

And install is super easy.

[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwolfsburg18t:
The one I am considering getting appears black in the pictures, it isn't the one with the body/plastic material, but the black mesh one with the red Kamei badge. Will the actual grill need painted or just the hood filler piece for where my VW emblem protruded into the hood? I need to know because i recently hydroplaned into the back of another car and the only damage was my grill cracking (thank god)and I need to replace it ASAP.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can give you 100% answer:

You don't need to paint it.

Unless we are talking about a different grille than shown above.

[ May 10, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx a lot guys that one site that "Big Dong" sent doesn't have the grill any more so I am still looking for a reliable place to purchase it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the Hofele grill has a bigger mesh design while the Kamei's is closer together, I like the Kamei better. But i did want to know whether or not the filler piece where the VW emblem protrudes into the hood comes pre-painted or if you need to get that done yourself?? [email protected]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
But i did want to know whether or not the filler piece where the VW emblem protrudes into the hood comes pre-painted or if you need to get that done yourself??
It does not come painted. You will need a local shop to do it for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
usual rule of thumb, if you have to ask if you can install it you prob cant, however, the kamei grille is very stylish, and very very easy to install, bonding the hood filler and painting behind the grille, (if you have a lite car) is the most involved you get

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It is not welded on. It comes with a tube of epoxy type stuff that you use to bond it to the hood. Now if you want it smoothed in, you would need a body shop to do that for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Correct it comes with a piece of plastic, like he said you can get it customly filled by the shop, but i did mine and used dealership touch up , and it looks great, unless your really inspecting it, cant even see it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts