VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
it really depends on your skill level. most of your connections will be made at the factory security module located behind your headlight switch. the parking lights are a little tricky, and the unlock requires a double pulse to unlock all doors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im pritty good with working on cars and have been doing it for a while, just on chevys only, so i'm new to this whole volkswagon set up, and had no idea where to start on this car. im not worried about hooking up the parking lights. and what do you mean by double pulse to unlock all doors? do you mean i just have to hit unlock 2ce on the pad, or is it extra wiring?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Get it professionally done. Then it is guaranteed to work and if you ever have any problems you can come back in and get it worked on at no charge. Come see Jay (halfofnothing) at Tweeter or me at Circuit City. We are trained and do these regularly.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
omfg said:
Get it professionally done. Then it is guaranteed to work and if you ever have any problems you can come back in and get it worked on at no charge. Come see Jay (halfofnothing) at Tweeter or me at Circuit City. We are trained and do these regularly.
Listen to this guy...where I work we do Viper remote starts/keyless entry and I don't care how good you are at working on cars, you can fuck up a lot of stuff when dealing with a remote start especially on a VW. It's actually against the law for us to sell just the start to someone because of how badly it might screw up their wiring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im not gana bother with the remote start part of it, im just buying it for the keyless entry system. and i relaly would rather install that myself being as i dont think doing just the keyless entry is that hard, and im a broke college student and barley have enough money to buy the system its self.

·
Registered
909 Posts
jayman4312 said:
well im not gana bother with the remote start part of it, im just buying it for the keyless entry system. and i relaly would rather install that myself being as i dont think doing just the keyless entry is that hard, and im a broke college student and barley have enough money to buy the system its self.
make sure you have ALL the information you need before you go into it...i'd hate to see you posting for help on here because you hooked something up improperly. German cars seem to be the worst where electrical problems caused by aftermarket electronics that aren't installed correctly are concerned. The installation manual that DEI provides will give you just enough information to get yourself in trouble. Having a service manual for the car in this case isn't really of much help as it doesn't provide the type of information necessary to hook these systems up properly(door lock type, isolation of certain wires, etc..). Good luck, and i hope all goes well with your installation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx, i think im just gana go buy a factory one froma vw dealership so its more plug n play, hopefully its cheap. we shall see.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
You're looking at a couple hundred bones there. If you watch ebay you can pick up a whitebox module for $40 and go get the fobs for $30 at the dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whats the white box modual, the box that actually connects to the car? and does it just plug in essentially, like will i be looking for a 1996 jetta specific 1?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The color is white . the others are silver or black. The white one has a FCC: regulation code on it. You will also have to buy a remote (VW only) that has the same frequency numbers on it. 93-96 are rare. 97-99 are more availible but all work. :wink:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
halfofnothing said:
jayman4312 said:
make sure you have ALL the information you need before you go into it...i'd hate to see you posting for help on here because you hooked something up improperly. German cars seem to be the worst where electrical problems caused by aftermarket electronics that aren't installed correctly are concerned. The installation manual that DEI provides will give you just enough information to get yourself in trouble. Having a service manual for the car in this case isn't really of much help as it doesn't provide the type of information necessary to hook these systems up properly(door lock type, isolation of certain wires, etc..). Good luck, and i hope all goes well with your installation.
Jay's right about the manual from DEI, it's very basic. If you program the keyless module to do a double pulse then it will always arm/disarm the alarm and open the driver's then the rest of the doors immediately after.

Here's a link to help you with the wiring on the car side of things.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehiclewiring/1/yeard/Volkswagen.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1 Posts
im pritty good with working on cars and have been doing it for a while, just on chevys only, so i'm new to this whole volkswagon set up, and had no idea where to start on this car. im not worried about hooking up the parking lights. and what do you mean by double pulse to unlock all doors? do you mean i just have to hit unlock 2ce on the pad, or is it extra wiring?
Did you ever figure it out. Currently trying to figure out how to get the double pulse to the unlock wire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts