VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to have such general questions here, but:

I was pretty much set on a '02 1.8T with leather, luxury, and 17" wheels...That one got sold, so i'm looking at ordering an '03.

I'm wondering what your experiences have been with these options? Leather is nice, of course, but I'm wondering if the cloth might hold you in better or if the leather seats are prone to cracks and tears...

As far as sunroofs go, have you had good reliability from them? A sunroof might be nice, but i don't want one if it's going to continually break on me.

As far as the monsoon radio goes, i'm pretty unimpressed by its sound and will likely install an elaborate after-market stereo at some point (elaborate enough to make it impossible to swap it for service)...I'm told that this will void my electrical warranty....Can anyone fill me in on what components the electrical warranty covers?

Well, that almost sums it up...I've noticed that if i get a base VR6, that would be within price constraints, albeit still about 500 more than a loaded 1.8T...
So, I've got a couple questions about VR6s... Is the engine smoother (less vibration, etc...) Smoother power delivery i would imagine... More low-end torque?Also, I'd like that 6speed....are the throws any shorter than on the basic 5m? does it shift any more easily?

Since the VR6 weighs 100 pounds more and has only 20 more hp, i'm thinking that performance is going to be very close stock, but i know it's cheap and easy to upgrade a 1.8T.... Would a simple intake and exhaust void my powertrain warranty on either car?

Just wondering what previous owners have experienced...Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
ok. I'm sure if you treat the leather seats with leather conditioner, you'll have no problem with them. I've had no problem with the sunroof, and i haven't heard of anyone else have a problem either. As for the sounds system, i got the monsoon system also. I wasn't to impressed with it either and didn't want it at first. I was going to install a whole after market system in but they could only find a GTI with the monsoon system so they gave me a discount on it. Sooo, what i did was take a 200 watt amp and added a 12" sub and it sounds real nice now. In my opinion, the monsoon is good for mid to high range but sucks at low range. The problem with the warrenty is that if you have a aftermarket head unit in, it will blow up the machine they hook up to your car for dignostic(sp) because the system will run through your radio and that machine cost somewhere around $10,000. So when they say electrical warranty is void, that means anything with a wire hooked up to it is void. What you might be able to do is hook up a external switch to cut the power to the radio. Not sure if that will work or not. You might want to ask the service guys (they might know what works and what doesn't.)
I've heard that if your use to a 5M, it will take some time to get use to shifting more often, besides that i've heard good things about it. And finally, The intake and exhaust will not void your power train warrenty, unless they can prove that those mods made a part break, which rarley ever happens. Hope this answers some of your questions.
jon

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the good responses, guys....

GTI2001, I've got a 12" sub and amp in my current car that i was also considering integrating into the monsoon stereo....You've had no warranty issues with that extra amp and sub in the back? (Assuming that you had to run a couple extra wires from the car battery to the rear of the vehicle and also, of course, from the head unit to the amp, i wouldn't be surprised if the dealer would frown heavily upon that.)
If your vw dealer hasn't given you problems with that kind of setup, then that's likely what i'll be doing.....Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
They have not given me any problems with it. It's mainly the head unit is the problem because the alarm system and everything else runs through it. One thing about the amp, just to be safe, make sure you run the remote wire to something that doesn't turn on unless you turn the key. For example, if you have your car turned off, you can still play the radio by pressing the power button on it but your amp will not be turned on. (You should have it set-up this way anyways but many people who do it themselves don't)
jon

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: GTI2001 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, I did have some problems with the sunroof. The motor burned out while it was half open, but as it turns out its because of a %@(*(*$&(@!#$ tree over my driveway that gummed the thing up with sap. Chainsawed said tree, no more problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, what's the best way to get extra bass out of the Monsoon without screwing something up or voiding the warranty?
I'm a dummy when it comes to electronics, so please be kind with me and spell it out in black and white.
And does anyone know who makes the base unit and amp for the Monsoon?
It is quite impressive in the high range!
Thanks,
Lenny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Lenny, I'm in the same boat as you... the monsoon isn't that bad for a stock system but, as you, i'd really like a little added bass. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is to just add a sub. Has anyone done just this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same response here. Its a little muddy on the lows. but the highs are great. VW is known for that. I havn't gotten behind the head unit yet....but does anyone know if it has pre-amp outputs to hook up that sub???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts