VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time VW buyer. Went to VW dealer in Bel Air MD for a 2014 Passat DSG TDI premium was about to walk when a manager says "oh yes i can match our own internet price on cars.xxx website 28695.00 AND give you this: window tinting, fabric protector for the life of your car and the spoiler on the back oh and we can give you 90 days no payment" so I of course turned around and was ready to sign at that point. Kept asking for the number breakdown but they insisted I fill out a credit app first, I unlocked my equifax via my cell phone which was showing 728, I had recently checked all 3 scores fromt he horses mouths themselves which were in the 728-740 range so I had no worries asking for Tier 1 financing which was 0.9%. Get to the finance guy desk only to be told my scores were Auto 09 scores showing equifax 655, experian 653 and Transunion 748, ok now Im a bit upset over the issue with the varied credit scores, he has me sign the Equifax one showing the 655, however I qualified for 1.59 financing for 72 months from VW so ok great was ready to sign, finally got to look over the numbers and noticed the price was way higher than what the manager said he would do he **added** on the following: price now states 28737, owner loyalty bonus added on for 1000, college graduate 600 freight 820, dealer fees 199 of course tax tag and title which is fine but the rest made the purchase price go way up. I stopped the deal and spoke to the manager who was a different one now as the other guy left, he stated he forgot to tell me the online price he had agreed too was only with me qualifying for those incentives, which was not what he said outside as I was ready to walk away, he also told me I couldn't get the $1000 fuel card VW was offering on the 2014 TDI's and then proceeded to tell me one of his salesman had the car advertised on ebay for 27900 and he said he didnt give them permission to advertise on ebay or cars.xxx and the dealerships own website which is where I saw it for 28695 actually. I hated the fact that the same car was advertised at differed prices on different sites. I was upset and felt "dupped" so to speak. This manager wouldnt take off the extra charges so I said no and believe it or not the guy LET ME WALK????? WHAT.. ok so I was angry and I hated to waste the hard pull for nothing. Not good business practice and left a bad taste in my mouth on the VW experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I assume that the dealer used your "Auto-Enhanced FICO" score. That is pretty much the standard. I always go in knowing this number.

Sales guys will tell you anything. Most people wouldn't have noticed the discrepancy. All dealers are like this. With that said though, I never let the dealer put *anything* on my car. It is all overpriced junk.

Sounds to me like you didn't use your head, got angry and stormed out. You are expected to leverage what the sales guy told you, and work at a better deal. I usually make the sales guy write down what he promises. Still not binding, but it helps me keep the facts straight.

When I negotiated my car, I walked out five times. I walked out as many times on my Ford vehicle before that, and every vehicle I have ever owned. Even though I walked out, they always called the next day with a concession.

Car purchasing is a game. Go to the dealer about 5 days before the end of the month (to give time for walkouts,) they get more frantic the closer it is to the end of the month. Come prepared with your strategy already in your head. If they aren't whining about how you are screwing them, you are not doing something right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts