VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the clear and/or smoked tailights legal to have on a car? I have seen different websites saying whether they are or aren't, and my local dealership has a car in their showroom (the pride of their dealership) that has smoked tailights, so I thought that they would only sell street legal stuff, but I never can be sure. Can someone help me out with this?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It vary's from state to state. As long as you have the right color bulbs in and that they can be seen from a certain distance, you'll be fine.
jon

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Well the MK3 GTI's came with smoked tails from the factory. I know the taillight covers are illegal, at least in MA they are. I think you will be fine with smoked ones, and I'm positive clears are alright. I haven't had a problem with my smoked tails in 1.5 years, so I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i purchased aftermarket taillights, and they came with a street legal certification card, so i guess it depends, i suppose if the bulbs are the same color. and if they perform the same functions, no reason why it wouldnt be legal

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know out here in Cali. you can't modify your tail lens period......I used to own a 98 GMC Sonoma,and I got a ticket for modified rear lens, i had replaced my stock lens with APC Euros that are supposed to be 100% street legal, but i guess not......I also have friends that have clear corners on their lens and have gotten tickets as well....out here the laws SUK.

L8R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts