VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My research project for this week is down pipes for a 1.8t. In this case manufactures may be important but it seems as though size is what to look for. Is this true? The decision lies between 2 1/2" or 3". This search is based on a stock turbo and the downpipe, hiflo cat will mate up to factory 337 exhaust. Is any one running 3"? Any one rode in different cars equiped the two sizes in question?
A big thanx for any and all info

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With every new mod to this 1.8t

I tend to think "how much more can there be"

Smooth,Quick acceleration u see

Look out................"Here comes stage 3"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just in case u were wondering,
Some time ago i found my self in a place where it seamed as though I would have to sell my ride. Yea I know - what a bummer. Well at this point all is well so I am not looking to sell. If someone was looking to buy mine or a 337 in general, I hear there are still some to be found. I really hope I did not mislead anyone and if I did sorry for the confusion. GTI2001 thanx for the concern!
The point still remains - Does anyone have any feed back on the DP?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
From what i have heard, if you get a DP and have an exhaust, it will open up the air even more. I'll be getting a DP within the next year or so when i can afford one. Since you have the 337 with a good exhaust, the DP should work well with it.
jon

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have heard on other forums that the 3" DP drops the torque a little in the bottom end but it helps in the high end. I would prefer low end power myself! hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the input and once again sorry for the confusion (if any)
well I went with a 2 1/2"er made by Brullen out of canada. The welds could have been a little claener on the inside but other than that it is a nice unit. The dp and cat are 1 unit. It came with two flanges one for stock midpipe and one for what appears to be 3" (don't quote me on the three inch). The first thing i noticed was the inlet was alot bigger and I mean alot bigger (the same size as the output hole in the turbo)!!!! The insallation was very easy, it took about two hours and requires no welding. It came with a clamp but i reused the stock one it is a bit better.
Now the performance- The first thing i noticed was the smoothness of power delivery. The wiplash feeling @ full throddle was greatly reduced and the tach jumped to 6500 rpm fast real fast not only in first but second and third. What r the trace times? well I hope to go friday (if the rain stops) Over all not a bad unit. lost torque? Well maybe the feel but speed and tach jumps r noticeable. I will keep u posted on those times!
Oh yea, This kit also came with free poly dogbone engine mounts!!! Quite a bonus. The one mount had to be shaved to fit with the stock hardwear. The rpms were felt alot more with these installed and at fast excelleration they kept the dp from hitting the steering rack. Well if any one else is thinking about the dp thing I hope this was of some help.
thanx again
chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts