VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 98 jetta 2.0 for $600 with 121,xxx miles on it, and the lifters are making noise the whole entire time it runs, thankfully the guy is including new lifters with it, because he went in and cleaned them off to see if they were all nasty and they werent to bad, so with my lifters being bad, what else should i look for that i might need to replace? a camshaft? i don't know what.

Thanks,
Austin

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
I would do valve springs and the cam. Might be worth pulling the head to replace the head gasket too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not so fast...

I have a 98 Jetta ABH 4 cyl and thought I had bad lifters. I replaced them all but ticking persists. Then I thought it was the fuel injectors, but the ticking is not quite in synch with engine RPM speed, which it should be if that was the case. The ticking in my car speeds up faster than engine RPM and gets louder under load, so I am thinking maybe fuel pump (in the tank?) or something along those lines. I am not exactly sure yet. Any sleuthing ideas would be appreciated.

In any case, if it is your lifters you can confirm by removing the oil filler cap while the engine is running and you should hear them more loudly. If not then guess again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts