VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm lifting my Jetta. Right now my biggest problem is the saggy ass end of the car. I also have a tendency to overload the trunk with tools for work and car repairs.

I did do a mod on it once where I cut back the spring seats on some MK2 GTI struts, put some MK1 springs on them, and crammed them into the rear strut compartment. It lifted the back end about 4 inches. A liitle too hoopty for my tastes.

I'd like to lift the back end about 2 inches, and recently ordered some neoprene gizmos. I also ordered some strut end extenders, in the event that I lose my upward travel. However, I'm looking for more of a structural modification to the axles or the body, so that I don't have to rely on rubber stuff (because it breaks down with time).

The front end is already a bit high, as I have Tokiko adjustable shocks on the car, and removed the AC. I can't remember, but I think I put in some heavy duty front springs off of another AC car.

Has anyone here ever successfully lifted a rabbit or Jetta? If so, how the heck did you do it?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The best way to do this that (I know of is to buy some sort of coilover. I know H&R makes a "Dune Buggy" suspension that might do it, and I would imagine you could put a rear sway on it also. If you did both, it would probably handle well and still accomplish what your looking for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm. I'll check that out. My mechanic friend and I are looking into using drive shaft setups from a Eurovan or something to get past the A-arms in the front, but I have yet to see how that's going to work.

I'm also considering doing some sort of modification to the back axle to maintain ground clearance while getting lift and to avoid squishing the axle into the gas tank.

Most importantly, I need to find some 15" truck rims (6 or 7" wide) so that I can put nice knobby buggy or truck wheels on the car after I gut the wheel wells.

All that crap plus the Eurogrille set up off of an 83 Cabrio, bully bar bumpers, a roof-mounted light rack, safari basket, and assorted fog lamps.

It'll look like a little tiny Hum-vee. It will be an SU-VW. I just wish I had access to a metal working shop so I could fabricate some of this crap.

·
Registered
413 Posts
that sounds awesome. I know in Europe they had a Golf Country, it was mk2 I think. it was basically a Golf SUV (small of course). not sure, but you might be able to buy the parts overseas off a golf Country, even though that might get costly.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Either 924 or late super beetle front struts. Just swap the Jetta strut bearing on there. Probably end up pretty high, probably high enough to have driveshaft clearance problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmmmm... Yeah, that's the idea. But imagine the country with a trunk and big-ass wheels and tires. I wonder how they solved the A-arm clearance problem. There must be specs somewhere. Thanks for the lead...

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I think they lowered the front subframe... which you can't really do on a MK1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lifting a car by lowering the subframe is like having sex while wearing pantyhose. Kind of pointless. There must be a better way to get this rig off the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts