VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here could help me.... the lighting behind my ac/heat controls does not work so at night nothing is illuminated. I've opened it up before but I do not know how the lighting behind there works or what i actually need to replace... please hellp if you have any idea how

·
Registered
141 Posts
look behind the knobs, there's a clear plastic piece, that works as a fiber opic thing to move light from the bulb in the white housing behind it, and spread it out behind the whole gauge panel, to see what i mean, take off the heating panel cover, then unscrew the heating controls, pull them forward, then look at the clear plastic piece, it looks like a spider on it's side, follow it to the part that's farthest back, or the "body" of the spider, there's a white housing there, with a small lightbulb in it, that's what you need to replace, the bulb cost me like a dollar...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot man. i'll give it a shot. also, i'm guessing either the bulb is green or the clear plastic projects green light, how would i get it to show red light???

·
Registered
141 Posts
i dont know how to change them to red, from what i remember, i believe that the clear plastic causes the light to change to green... that or.... i think it may be in the panel that snaps in and has the labels for the controls on it... that may be the part that changes the lights to green.. i'm not sure how to make them red but if you get creative.... there's gotta be a way to do it..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i found out how it's green. if anyone cares, there's a green cylinder of plastic around the bulb and since the green plastic is connected to the fiber optics or whatever it is, green light gets transmitted throughout. if you want to change the color, you need to change the green plastic but i have no clue where you can find that piece of plastic in a different color.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Anywhere they sell brakelight repair kits with the different colored film in sheets, or an art supply store, you can get any color you want.

·
Registered
466 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lecchilo:
ok i found out how it's green. if anyone cares, there's a green cylinder of plastic around the bulb and since the green plastic is connected to the fiber optics or whatever it is, green light gets transmitted throughout. if you want to change the color, you need to change the green plastic but i have no clue where you can find that piece of plastic in a different color.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exactly what your talking about. It's like a little green "condom" for the bulb. I had some red ones that a friend got me but I don't know where I put them. You have to be able to buy them somewhere. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ej, thanks silver, that's exactly it, the "condom" haha. If you by any chance figure out where you can get them or if you can get them, email me or just post here i'd really appreciate it. if you can get one of those plastic pieces let me know we can work something out maybe because i'm really looking for it everywhere. thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lecchilo:
ej, thanks silver, that's exactly it, the "condom" haha. If you by any chance figure out where you can get them or if you can get them, email me or just post here i'd really appreciate it. if you can get one of those plastic pieces let me know we can work something out maybe because i'm really looking for it everywhere. thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should be able to get you some red ones, give me a day or so if I can dig them up you can have them, just pay the postage. Deal?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea man definitely. my email is [email protected] once you get them, send me an email of how much all that stuff is and how much it is to send it, and if you want i'll send you teh postage money to your address or whatever address you give me and then when you get the money you can just send me the stuff. just email me once you get the stuff and figure out the $ for postage. thanks a lot

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can get them but it might take a week or so. I work at a truck plant and can get the red ones but only when they have a right hand drive truck (about 3 per day) . Let me know how many you need, and I'll start collecting them as they just get thrown out anyway. If the postage is cheap I'll just mail them to you for nothing. Tell me how many you want and when I've found that many I'll p/m you and get your mailing info. The more you want the longer it's going to take though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGolfCart:
I can get them but it might take a week or so. I work at a truck plant and can get the red ones but only when they have a right hand drive truck (about 3 per day) . Let me know how many you need, and I'll start collecting them as they just get thrown out anyway. If the postage is cheap I'll just mail them to you for nothing. Tell me how many you want and when I've found that many I'll p/m you and get your mailing info. The more you want the longer it's going to take though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey thanks a lot silver. well all i need is one but i guess i'd want 2 just in case. so yea thanks again bro just p/m me whenever you get them, i'll thank you somehow. by the way, where are you at, location wise ??

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm in St. Thomas, Ontario about 2 hours from T.O, you might as well p/m me your address, I'll probably be able to get you a couple Monday, so I'll mail them out Tues. No problem at all.

·
Registered
466 Posts
ej silver reply if you got my message with my address....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it, I'll send them on Tues.

·
Registered
466 Posts
hey silver, i was just wondering, did you send those pieces out yet or no ??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your p/m.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts