VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving along tonight and I had turned the heat on and set the HVAC to defrost and hit the "recycle air" button. Well, to my dismay it wouldn't engauge, and remained unlit. I thought it broken, and continued to push it in an attempt to jiggle the switch free.

I even went so far as to remove the lower trim piece while driving (tricky maneuver, yes, but I am in Prescott where everyone is in bed by 8 and the roads are empty) trying to see if I could somehow fix it; I was dreading having to drive 2 hours just to get to the nearest VW dealer for warranty work...

Well, later I ended up switching the controls away from defrost and, Viloa!, it the recycle button worked again...

So that means that VW went to the trobble of designing the recycle button as not to engauge when in defrost; I just thought that goes to show the attention to detail and the amount of engineering that went into our cars...

Sorry if you feel this was a waste of your time, just figured not too many people would have noticed this...

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Thats right Alex, that quirk is completely normal. When you use the defrost button, it needs outside air to defrost the windows properly, so it disengages the recirc funtion until you deselect defrost.

·
Registered
423 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 LUVR:

So that means that VW went to the trouble of designing the recycle button as not to engauge when in defrost; I just thought that goes to show the attention to detail and the amount of engineering that went into our cars...

Sorry if you feel this was a waste of your time, just figured not too many people would have noticed this...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good old German Engineering at its finest.

Not only can't you use Recycle when in defrost. They make the a/c compressor run also in defrost. Only work down to 38-40F.
When the a/c compressor is on its producing nice cool dense air. That's why in the owners book they tell you to run the a/c when in defrost mode. But it auto does it with the Climatronic head unit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
very well engineered...the more you drive it , the more you love it....quality lacks, unfortunately

1 - 5 of 5 Posts