VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 wolfsburg jetta 1.8t. im not sure what the engine code is, but if anybody is selling a apr chipped ecu, please let me know.
drew

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
2 things:

1) Try posting this in the trading post section, you'll have more luck.

2) Why don't you want to just get your ECU chipped? Trying to save money?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
WAIT!!! You might want to reconsider what you are doing...

I had the same idea that you apparently have. Buy a second ECU, swap it in, then swap it back out when you go in for service.

Very good idea. Unfortinately it doesn't work nearly as well as it should. Basically, every ECU has a security code that makes use of the immobilizer and is tuned to your key. In other words, if you swap in the ECU without first adapting the code to your security code, then your car won't run.

APR does make a program that will reset certain Earlier ECUs with a new security code; the later ones I believe you will have a much more difficult time with...

If you are willing to go through the trouble, contact Emily on this forum; she knows what I am talking about, and she is with AP Tuning, and they will be able to help you with this.

Well, just wanted to let you know what you were getting into; hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just in addition....

I actually bought a spare ECU off of ebay, then figured out it wouldn't work.

Well, about a month later the guy who sold it to me wanted it back, I assume because he found out that it isn't that simple. Lucky me; I didn't get stuck with a spare ECU of no use to me.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have the same car and i dont know shit about 1.8t ... i had an MK4 VR6, and i just bought a 1.8t wolfsburgh... cant you just buy the APR chip and put it in for the same results?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rronnicc:
I have the same car and i dont know shit about 1.8t ... i had an MK4 VR6, and i just bought a 1.8t wolfsburgh... cant you just buy the APR chip and put it in for the same results?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well as long as you chip YOUR chip than you will be fine and will have a nice jump in horsepower; just don't try and buy a second ECU and chip that. Just doesn't work out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts