VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Looking for feedback on possible purchase. 2002 GTI 1.8 US car with the following mods:
After market R322 style bumpers
Euro type headlights
carbon fibre hood
coil over adjustable suspension
competition HD anti roll bars
heavy duty suspension locaters on front suspension (Audi)
Porsche 959 front brakes
Audi TT rear brakes
Full open bore stainless exhaust with race through cat
high volume intake
Greddy adjustable dump valve
K4 Turbo
Hi Perf Chip
Quaife 6 speed close ratio gear box with LTD differential

All of these items were copied from the seller to here so forgive me as I am not familiar with some items. Car int and ext are very clean. Price is $9000 Canadian. Any comments would be great! Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I would be hesitant to buy anyones project, but this one "sounds" like they put some decent parts on it, I would be interested in the manufactures of those performance products, the maintanence of the vehicle, mileage, etc. NOt sure exchange rate right now either on a CDN to US dollar, but it is normally aobut 1.10 to every 1 US, so around 8k US for that car seems high off what i see and age.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Greedy doesn't make any recirculation valves, only BOVs. (bov is bad for cars with MAFs, like the 1.8t)
A chip? It's called flashing or tuning the car for these. There is no chip.
Says full open bore exhaust. Why wouldn't he just say the size and turboback.
No fuel supporting mods for the K04 + a BOV? What?
Competition roll bar. Why doesn't he just name the brand of the sway bar and state the thickness in MM?
Most vs 6 speeds (FWD) are the closer gear ratio (1.8t)
LTD? Never heard of it. It's LSD. Quaife is the brand name for the LSD not the gear box, two separate things entirely.

Fake bumpers and a carbon fiber hood.

Unless it has around 50k miles on it and no engine codes I wouldn't touch it with a 50 foot pole. Thats my humble opinion though.
People sell way higher end builds for the same or less than this, not to mention they know what the heck is in the car.

Canadian prices for these cars must be pretty bad?
Like psst said, I'd be weary of picking up someone elses "project."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Greedy doesn't make any recirculation valves, only BOVs. (bov is bad for cars with MAFs, like the 1.8t)
A chip? It's called flashing or tuning the car for these. There is no chip.
Says full open bore exhaust. Why wouldn't he just say the size and turboback.
No fuel supporting mods for the K04 + a BOV? What?
Competition roll bar. Why doesn't he just name the brand of the sway bar and state the thickness in MM?
Most vs 6 speeds (FWD) are the closer gear ratio (1.8t)
LTD? Never heard of it. It's LSD. Quaife is the brand name for the LSD not the gear box, two separate things entirely.

Fake bumpers and a carbon fiber hood.

Unless it has around 50k miles on it and no engine codes I wouldn't touch it with a 50 foot pole. Thats my humble opinion though.
People sell way higher end builds for the same or less than this, not to mention they know what the heck is in the car.

Canadian prices for these cars must be pretty bad?
Like psst said, I'd be weary of picking up someone elses "project."
Thanks for your response. The owner of this car had all the work done by a local VW shop so I think he might not know EXACTLY what he is referring to. Honestly neither do I. Here are some things that may sort this out a bit.
Im sure it is a BOV.
He purchased a Quaife 6 speed gearbox from the UK . Here is their web site

Search: VW - Quaife Engineering

You said "No fuel supporting mods for the K04 + a BOV? What?"

Sorry not sure what you mean. Are you saying there should be a fuel mod ?
If so I will ask. (sorry, like I said this is new to me)

Why do you say the bumpers and CF hood are fake?

The car has 59,000 miles. Mods were done about 10,000 ago.
He paid a mechanic to do the work - hence I don't think he know what he is talking about. I appreciate your help on this. If you have any more comments please feel free. I will be contacting the person who worked on this vehicle and taking it to a garage before purchasing it.

Thanks again

Attached pics

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Please be more specific. Does it look cheesy ?
Like I said I am NEW here. not really familiar with these.
I know a bit about M3`s and 2011 Camaros but the GTI is new to me :)
yes it looks cheesy

here's my .02 fist off don't buy someone elses project like stated above, however if you still want to then make sure every mod stated he has a recite for, otherwise he did it himself and who knows if he did it correct

Now off the bat you may want to replace the front and rear bumper and hood to OEM, no need to disguise the car as an R32 so I would factor that into the price unless he has the stock parts

With all that said make sure he knows he's never going to get back what he has put into the car unless he parts the car out, so his asking price is very high I would haggle him down

btw what's the year and milage and what number is the 20th?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
You said "No fuel supporting mods for the K04 + a BOV? What?"

Sorry not sure what you mean. Are you saying there should be a fuel mod ?
If so I will ask. (sorry, like I said this is new to me)

Fuel supporting mods, like a regulator or injector or even a pump are required with turbo upgrades. A turbo dumps lots of air, even changing the PSI on a stock turbo can require more fuel. 12 psi is 150% more air than a 1.8 without a turbo. Stock boost is 8-12 so that's well within the range. But when you start pulling 20 pounds of boost on stock turbo or changing over to a bigger one, like the k04, you run into insufficient fuel. Tune matters a lot.
A k04 should at LEAST have a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator. He might have one and not know.

A blow off valve will lean out the fuel map, with a k04 and no fuel upgrades this will be catastrophic much sooner.
However, it's savable and very clean car.

At the end of my post I said "Unless it has around 50k miles on it and no engine codes I wouldn't touch it with a 50 foot pole."
The 60k odo and clean-ness of the car go a longggg way. If he has receipts for the work and you can get a decent price, take it.

I don't think I've ever heard of an mk4 with 59k on the clock before. At least not in 2013/14!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. Looked at the car today. Needs a little cosmetic work but still in good shape. 55,000 miles on it. About 10,000 miles on trans, clutch, brakes. 1,500 miles on Turbo. Car has been sitting under wraps since Oct. No insurance so no test drive. Going to do that Sat. He gave me the name of the person who provided all the parts and the parts guys brother did all the work. They both work at a local VW dealer and it turns out I know one of them so I am going to talk to him about the vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update. took car to mechanic. Only MAJOR issues was the timing belt service which I was expecting, chain tensioner gasket is leaking which can be fixed at the same time as the belt, needs a brake fluid flush, some play in the front upper strut mount and needs new front pads and rotors. Porsche 959 brakes so that could be interesting $$. Any suggestions on where to purchase timing belt kit or brakes and rotors? Car test drove VERY well, Quite fast. Handles great and brakes are unbelievable.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ooooo. I like the brakes. Body doesn't look bad. Don't like the carbon fiber. It seems too Ricey for dubs.
(Coming from the guy who used to drive a golf with flames on it) lol so glad that's gone.
I just paid 4k usd for an mkiv silver with the vr6 and it has 140,xxx miles on it.
55k? That's CRAZY low.
I'd say take a look at the plugs to see if they look lean. Ie: whitish color to it.
He's right about that turbo bit.
Also make sure the exhaust doesn't blow any white smoke or smell sweet like antifreeze. Maybe get on it real hard when test driving. If you see blue smoke not a good sign.

Chain tensioner seal? Hmm...

Other than that it looks good. Exhaust tip is small potatoes. EASY fix.

Timing belt kits at ecstuning.com
Got mine there.
Great site.
Job took me 10hrs. And it was horrible. But I got it done. Make sure to get the kit that has a water pump!

Welcome to mkivs and best of luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts