VW Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
#1 service history, IE: timing belt, water pump, and thermostat at 100,000 mile increments. then general service records.
#2 rust on the underside of rockers, floors, trunk, and the bottom of the doors (inside where it meets the kick).
#3 tail light gaskets leak, check the tail bulb trays for corrosion and check the spare tire well for water.
#4 check all general engine connections electrical, breathers, and vacuum lines. if anything is disconnected then there is a reason.
if it has a body kit/ground kit, rocker extensions, check behind them for rust.
also check the shift linkage for worn relay ball/bushings, this will create a sloppy shift pattern, and check the gaskets on the engine, the valve covers are known for weeping/leaking.

as far as the engine not being the greatest, it is what it is, with scheduled and regular maintenance it will run for a very long time. I have 190,000 miles on my 98 cabrio and it still runs very strong.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Whats wrong with engine in the k2? Its the 2L, one of the best engines VW's made IMO for reliability and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally Got it :D, will put pictures up soon, Does anybody have an idea how to take off the roof racks tho? I'm not an outdoorsman and i detest roof racks on cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There she is :D I managed to get the roof rack off and take off the ugly ass bra,any suggestions mod-wise? i wanna get 17" black rims,HID kit and probly some white led lights to replace the Fog lights

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I have white LED's to replace my fogs, i like them. Dont put 17's on unless you plan on lowering, it looks dumb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, yes i intend to lower it eventually but i'm not sure what ride height would be safe because i want to clear speed bumps also i want to be able to drive it in winter, even though the snow here isnt very heavy...

·
Registered
14 Posts
this was very helpful. i was trying to memorize everything so i can check for all these when i go see this jetta. i recommend all noobs read this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh well...

My dad purchased a 1994 Jetta 2.0, 5 speed a while back. Before I read this I found some horrific cancer on the driver side wheel well area... I went to 5 body shops and only one is willing to fix it for 400-500 Dollars. There is also a lot of rust in the gas cap area. :( Other than those non-minor spots the car has no rust. Thank you for posting this. I now know that my rust is not uncommon. My dad is planning on giving it to me for my first car. :) it was only $950.00 If I can not get the AC to work, I plan on taking out the compressor and getting the kit for the belts and pulley stuff. There are quite a few major leaks...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts