VW Forum banner

Loopy idle, sometimes dies

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  markbad311 
#1 ·
I had just got done doing every seal in my car. Head, and all that has been done. Complete with porting out the intake and exhaust on the head as well.

When I got it all back together I went and had my computer reset. When I did it showed an "EVAP" code. Once cleared, the code came right back. So I assume the EVAP is screwed.

Most of the time it runs good, but I can feel surges, and when I come to a stop, sometimes it will start a "loopy" idle... and then it may die.

I am really interested in getting this problem fixed as it feels as though it is affecting horsepower greatly.

What do you all think I should do/try?

#2 ·
I want to clear one thing up... It did do this before all the work that had been done.

It will idle sometimes almost as if it was misfiring, but it def. is NOT. Also when under hard acceleration in third gear it will sometimes start bogging down, I let off the gas, and back on it and it will sometimes go away, but if I stayed on the gas it would probably bog so hard it may shut down.

It doesn't seem to do any of this until AFTER it exited it's "Cold Loop" in to normal running temp.

What do you all think?

#3 ·
I found that this was from a loose couple bolts on the intake manifold. Compounded with timing being off. The fact that it did a little bit of this prior to the car being torn down didn't really have any weight on the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.