VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of weeks a couple of things happened and I figured something out this morning. I started the Jetta (2001 VR6) this morning and the coolant alarm came on. Added coolant, second time in last couple weeks and the car runs rough when low RPM (feels like its missing) but get up to speed and everything runs normal. First thing I thought after those two things happened was head gasket. Stopped and checked under oil cap and it was the chocolate milk look. So there is coolant/moisture getting into the oil. What are the possible causes? The car has not overheated, it runs at the normal temperature. I use the VW coolant. Whats up?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Is there oil in the coolant?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Could be an oil cooler.

Also have you scanned the car for codes?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I have oil in the coolant will that point to a bad oil cooler? How difficult is it to replace the oil cooler?

Have not checked for codes, I don't have a CEL.

Now that I think about it, I have a display on the dashboard that I haven't seen in the past. (looks like a zero with a slash through it).

I will check for codes when I investigate for oil in the coolant.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you have oil in the coolant and visa versa, I'd lean more to a head gasket. If just coolant in oil, oil cooler may be more likely. We are dealing with a similar thing on a 1.8T, but runs great. Just coolant in oil. Seems to be the oil cooler.

Not sure what that light is. Can't picture it though. Codes can still be present without a CEL. Always a great place to start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the coolant fill globe and there is NO oil in the coolant. Checked for codes and it is all clear - NO codes. So do you think it is the oil cooler? Where is it and how hard is it to replace? Is the car ok to drive without causing more damage?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Nope. The cooling system is pressurized to about the force of gravity already. Also the cap regulates the pressure and the only way for fluid to go back into the system is for there to be less pressure in the system than the cap is rated at. Gravity doesn't create enough pressure for the cap to open the other way. Lifting the globe won't change anything.

I meant lift the car.
You should be able to find some shop, call around, that will do a free "visual maintenance inspection", complain that you are losing coolant and wonder what is up. They will lift the car and should be able to even tell you the name of the part that is faulty in hopes to sell you it + the labor charge.

If you don't have a jack and a jack stands that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will lift this evening and do a visual inspection. It is loosing coolant fast enough it should be obvious. Ill post when I know something.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Keep a jug of premixed coolant in the car.
The temp sensor will let you know whats going on.
Just turn the motor off before it over heats, once it's at about 3/4 of the way and let it cool, add coolant if it ever gets to that point. It won't hurt anything.
These cars don't even kick on the second fan until 3/4 or almost there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive got the coolant in the car just in case the car has not even got close to overheating. I plan to lift this weekend and find the leak.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My coolant output flange is leaking thats attached to the head. Its only plastic. Im replacing mine today. Was hard to see it only leaks when letting off the gas. Make sure u check that

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My coolant output flange is leaking thats attached to the head. Its only plastic. Im replacing mine today. Was hard to see it only leaks when letting off the gas. Make sure u check that
Have you been loosing coolant? What engine do you have and where is the coolant output flange.

·
Registered
495 Posts
2.0l AEG. ITs a plastic peice with 3 spouting an a thermal sensor attack to it on the drivers side just above the transmission. Its hard to miss 3 collabt lines going to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts