VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a steady "hum" coming from my front wheel(s) that is louder on the driver's side. The hum is more noticable when the the car rolls straight forward. There is some vibrating in the brake pedal when it pressed at slow speeds -- when the steering wheel is turned (when turning into a parking space). There is also a mild clicking sound.

I took off my driver's side front wheel and noticed some play in the rotor when it was pushed side to side. I could not SEE the axle move when the rotor moved. I could feel the rotor move when the axle was pushed in and out.

My CV joint boot is not ruptured. There is no loud "CLUNK" sound coming from the car when going straight.

Does this sound more like a bearing or CV joint problem?

Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like a bearing. My right front just went bad a month ago. If you've got play in the rotor that's pretty telltale. You said you hear clicking not clunking...further evidence of it not being a CV joint. Cheapest, sure fire diagnosis: drive it for a couple more weeks. If it's the bearing, by that time you won't be able to hear the stereo. If it just started, it's unlikely you'll hurt the hub waiting that long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts