VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all...im trying to find a radiator hose around town, and keep getting told i have to have my engine code number....well the tag in the trunk is worn a bit....but it looks like there was never a number in there for engine code. the other numbers are there and really faded...but this one is either totally gone or just was never there. apparently even taking the hose off wont help them figure out which i need....as they have to order it anyway. anyone know where i can find the engine code somewhere else?

also....what is the procedure for flushing the coolant system....i was going to undo one of the lowest hoses...let the coolant drain out....put a hose in there and just start flushing till water runs out the other end. the service manual is really vague on this procedure....is it safe to do that to the engine blocks coolant pathways...or just the radiator?
any and all help really appreciated.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Should be an RV code. The code plate is just below your front water neck on the block.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i don't think that the hose idea wil work because your thermostat will be closed therefore the water won't flow through. They used to sell a peice that you splice in to a rad hose and hook a w=garden hopse to. Then you can run it and it'll flush the whole. Thing, but i'm pretty sure they don't sell them anymore.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I couldn't figure out my engine code either because the number on my engine doesn't include any letters.

But if you know what type of engine (diesel, 8v, 16v) and what type of fuel injection system you have, you can use process of elimination since there are only 11 codes if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
22 Posts
matterof8th, you are exactly right. The procedure is to do just that... undo a lower rad hose and let it drain. same procedure in the manual for working on the thermostate. Anyway, consider installing one of those part store hose additions that is like a petcock, but bigger so you can screw a standard garden hose to it. install it on the short lower hose by the dipstick.
Also, while you are at it, hold the hose for a few minutes on the heater core, clean it out, then do the same for the rad, the block and the whole system.

About the engine code.. the guys are right, it is between the farthest 2 plugs (the ones on the drivers side of the car). on my car though, that ground surface on the block (not head) was too rusty, and even after cleaning it up, i swear there was and is no stampings there. This makes getting the proper head gasket shape difficult.

good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts