VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am afraid this thing is going to explode. Bought it for $800 a few months ago and the thing just keeps getting worse and worse.

1996 Jetta Trek 2.0. Automatic.

Just put a full exhaust in it and didn't put the cat back in. (can't afford one right now so i'm running without one). I didn't put the gasket where the downpipe meets the rest of the pipe. (That flange.) Parts store didn't have it, so it's on order. Thinking maybe this affects engine back pressure. I don't know.

There's 10w-40 in the motor. Previous owner said he always ran it without problems so i didn't switch. (how long he's actually been running it is beyond me.)

The thing makes an awful noise. I can physically see the flywheel spinning through what appears to be the transmission bellhousing. I don't think this is normal. I think part of the bellhousing broke off and maybe fell down into the bellhousing and what i hear is the flywheel hitting metal in the bottom.

Video related.

Any ideas or good places to start looking? I'm totally lost when it comes to jettas. I know jeeps.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Best to stay away from cheap, old trannys! :)

Seriously though to buy any car from the 90s with an automatic these days is setting yourself up for serious disappointment soon on down the road. Even with proper maintenance/fluid replacement an automatic will only last so long. Then take into account the generally poor level of maintenance on people's cars. Those variables combined add up to a shitty situation. Sorry to hear about this :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts