VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 jetta 2.0l. Recently in the last month my coolant light keeps beeping in my car about 2 minutes after a first start driving and then it goes out a minute later. It only does it on cold starts after it's been sitting overnight. I fill the car up with coolant and the problem goes away for about a week and then the reservoir is low again. I haven't noticed any leaks and I did the head gasket 1.5 years ago.

Could it be a bad expansion tank cap or air in the system? Any ideas?

It has also been very hot weather the past month.

·
Registered
103 Posts
might be a head gasket or look underneath your car right in front your rad fan blades should be a 3/4'' hose make sure it's solid, happened to me, one of my fan blades hit my hose and left a hole in there

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
You have any smell of syrup sweet smell after about 10 mins of driving pop the hood and smell u might have a pin hole leak some where that wont form a puddle under the car just slight mist and burn off before it pools.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On the left side of the head there's a black plastic multi function sensor and coolant flange. If it's cracked internally around the O ring or around the metal gromets, it will puddle up on the trans and blow off during a drive cycle. The dry coolant leaves a stain the same color as the coolant on the tranny. If no stain is found replace the expansion
tanks cover. It might not be holding pressure.

Ainokea

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove it around more than I usually do yesterday and it was really hot out. This morning I checked it and it was leaking on the ground which is a first. So I know it has a leak and I'm gonna have to jack it up and get under it to see where when I get the time in the next couple of days

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just looked and it looks like its coming from the lower portion of metal pipe thats on the exhaust manifold heat shield. Like where it screws into the rail that I believe mixes air into the exhaust which doesn't make sense because its an air injection pipe and I can't find any other spots where it looks like its leaking near there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts