VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when I turn on the fan for the heater the voltage gets really low. When I turn on the lights it gets kind of low, and when I use both it is super really low. Could I need a new alternator or could there be another problem?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
bad ground

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Go put a volt meter on the battery terminals and test it again. If you get the same results it isn't a bad ground to the gauge.

Go grab some jumper cables. Hook one black clamp up to the - battery terminal and clamp the other onto the body of the alternator somewhere. Make sure it gets good contact. Test again.

Usually a bad ground between the alternator and the battery is the cause of problems like what you have. I usually run a ground strap from battery dirrectly to the engine block, or a 12g wire from the battery to the body of the alternator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sounds definetly like my old rabbit check the belt sometimes the belt isnt as tight as it should be and if that dont work its is a ground and if not that hold a metal object to the side of the alternator if it touches it is bad cause the alternator makes a magnet effect

·
Registered
400 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
Go put a volt meter on the battery terminals and test it again. If you get the same results it isn't a bad ground to the gauge.

Go grab some jumper cables. Hook one black clamp up to the - battery terminal and clamp the other onto the body of the alternator somewhere. Make sure it gets good contact. Test again.

Usually a bad ground between the alternator and the battery is the cause of problems like what you have. I usually run a ground strap from battery dirrectly to the engine block, or a 12g wire from the battery to the body of the alternator.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mk1 and mk2 More then likely its a ground!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i looked around a little at the ground connections and couldn't really "see" anything bad, I am going to look into it somemore later on though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
use a voltmeter to test and what not thats the easiest way to pin point a voltage problem quickly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts