VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 gti 1.8 and i have a aem cold air for about 2 months now with no problems. I plan on lowering my car in the near future. Do u think i will have a problem with the cold air sucking up water now that my car will be much lower? Do u think i can make some kind of shield at the bottom of the bumper for proteciton of the water?

·
Registered
20 Posts
you can out on a bypass valve so when the water does deside to get in from the bottom..it will suck air out of the valve which is higher up.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EastCoastDubz420:
I have a 03 gti 1.8 and i have a aem cold air for about 2 months now with no problems. I plan on lowering my car in the near future. Do u think i will have a problem with the cold air sucking up water now that my car will be much lower? Do u think i can make some kind of shield at the bottom of the bumper for proteciton of the water?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much of a drop are we talking about. I'm lowered with Eibach pros and Koni yellows and have a CAI. No problems here.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do u think i can make something to go on the bottom of the bumper to block water from going on the intake? maybe a some silk cloth

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EastCoastDubz420:
i plan on getting H&R coilovers. I have a gti 1.8t so i think it will suck a lot more air in then your 2.0<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I hear those 1.8Ts would suck alot more.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
How much of a drop are we talking about. I'm lowered with Eibach pros and Koni yellows and have a CAI. No problems here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you see EastCoast, having a CAI and being dropped technically mean that Rafcarre's ride isn't stock. So you have to wonder what else he may be telling the truth about...

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 LUVR:
Well, you see EastCoast, having a CAI and being dropped technically mean that Rafcarre's ride isn't stock. So you have to wonder what else he may be telling the truth about...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps Alex is onto something...

Ok ok, I'll stop playing. You'll be fine with a reasonable drop. (1.5 to 2 inches)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 LUVR:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
like a turbo? maybe?
and unless you are flying through standing water, you should have no problems. just be careful when it rains. bigger puddles might splash up into the filter.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Do u think i can make some kind of shield at the bottom of the bumper for proteciton of the water?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think if you made anything that would make a big enough difference to be worth your time it would restrict airflow....

edit, i just borrow'd this from carboniointakes.com

Will the system suck up water in the rain or if I go through a puddle?
The effectiveness of a cold air intake system depends on positioning the filter where the coldest, freshest air is available. By necessity, this means having to place the filter outside the engine compartment, in an area at the front of the vehicle where it is more exposed to the elements; consequently, it would be misleading for any intake manufacturer, including Carbonio, to suggest that there is no risk of water ingestion. Our testing suggests, however, that there is a minimal risk of water inhalation under normal driving conditions.

The greatest chance of water inhalation occurs if the filter is either partially or fully submerged (say when driving into a very deep puddle). With the Carbonio system, the filter is positioned in front of the wheel well, above the centerline of the wheels. In order to fully submerge the filter, you would have to drive for an extended period through over 15 inches of water. A much smaller risk is posed by ambient moisture (i.e. rain being ingested from the outside). Here again, the shielded position of the filter -behind the bumper and in front of the wheels- means that, short of driving in sustained monsoon conditions, water inhalation should not be an issue.

As the above suggests, your best defence against the risk of water inhalation is to exercise a minimum amount of care and common sense. Just as you would not charge into a one foot deep pothole with your brand new alloy wheels, on those very rare occasions when the weather turns exceptionally poor, be aware of excessive amounts of standing water in the road.

[ January 05, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight VR6 ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts