VW Forum banner

Lowering 08 GLI

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  vwGLI 
#1 ·
So I just started doing research on my new VW, but I haven't come across much on my year and model and I'm not 100% sure what is a close build to my car as I am just getting into the euro game.

I want to do at least a 1.5"-2" drop front and rear. If I purchase JUST lowering springs, on a 1.5" drop will stock struts be able to handle that or would I have to do a whole suspension makeover? Thanks ahead of time :bow:

#2 ·
New shocks and struts are a must. The oem ones are not valved correctly for the lower height and will ride badly and not last very long. Look at Koni or bilstein shocks and struts. Usually around $400 for them. Basically you will be building a cupkit suspension.

#7 ·
I had a cupkit on my mk4 when I first bought it. I liked it a lot. Only downfall about cup kits is you are stuck with the drop they give you. I wanted my car lower so I got coilovers. I want a cupkit for my mk5. But the wife doesn't. Lol.

#8 ·
I'm looking at lowering kits now 1.5inch. I wanna do it right so shocks and struts is best way to go?? Any suggestions on brand? I wanna make sure I still have a good ride and good quality parts. I saw billstein, and koni were mentioned. Are they quality? I'm used to lifting trucks so I can't really compare brands I'm used to. This is my first car project. Any input is appreciated.

#10 ·
you might want to consider coilovers, as they allow for complete adjustment in height and even dampening. look to spend about 1000 or more on quality coilovers. I have konis and theyre awesome. With any aftermarket suspension, the ride is gunna get harsher/ rougher. but with the more quality coilovers, it wont be bouncy.

most people end up wanting to go lower once they get shock/springs and cant, and usually end up switching to coilovers. So it will save you money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.