VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a guy, he isnt sane, he goes to a shrink, that lowering your car adds drag or sumtin and makes you slower. i told him that i didnt believe him. But was he right? does anyone know?
Zak

·
Registered
335 Posts
if anything, i would think that lowering your car closer to the ground would reduce drag. i mean, by having less air running along the bottom of the car, you are reducing the amount of total surface area that comes in contact with air molecules. less surface area=less total drag. it's simple physics. on the other hand, having all that ICE in your trunk would probably slow you down. but that's not really a BAD thing....too much stereo, that is.......

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I think this guy you talked to is crazy. Not only will it reduce drag, but it will give you better traction off the line.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
If you properly lower your car with sport springs and shocks or the coil over method this will not "lag" you down. If you cut the springs "ghetto mod" yes this will give you a shitty ride.

Since this is lowered do you think it's slow?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's those dirty great big wheels that you "upgraded" to that will slow your acceleration times. Heh heh heh...

Like the 19" mirrored deep dish wheels

·
Registered
893 Posts
you know i thought it was taking longer to accelerate on my 17's than on my itty bitty 14's.... so im not crazy right..lol

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Well this extra friction of wider tires will cost you fuel economy and top speed, but on positive side you will get more traction which could only help your acceleration time and not slow you down during acceleration at all.

As per lowering your car and making it slower, WELLL YEAH... ON SHOPPING MALL PARKING LOTS because of all the speed bumps. But if that is bothering you... why don't you start racing else where?

·
Registered
844 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mk3grl:
you know i thought it was taking longer to accelerate on my 17's than on my itty bitty 14's.... so im not crazy right..lol<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's why you don't see drag cars running 18" rims. For flat out acceleration, alittle sidewall flex is good, and you get that with smaller rims. Plus, smaller rims typically = lighter weight which in turn = less rotating mass that your car has to get turning. It's all in the physics baby!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I guess my jeeta would be slow as hell because it is lowered AND has a wings west kit on it!I guess 140mph is slow huh!

·
Registered
161 Posts
yea the guy was a lil messed up and i didnt now whether to agree with him or not but what u guys say makes sense.peace.

·
Registered
273 Posts
another way lowering can make you slower is if you haveta wait for a cop to pull you over when he thinks the car's weighted down with a shipment of drugs, as happened to my friend (in the cop's defense, this probably only happened to him since my friend was driving a minivan lowered to have a handicap ramp)

·
Registered
25 Posts
lowering wont make u slower unless u have a huge spoiler/wing or air scoops in front...it only reduces drag and adds a tid bit of more down force..dont listen to insane people...its not smart...lowering basically makes ur car look nicer, cornering is nicer, reduces air resistence and makes u hit speed bumps if u lower it that far...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts