VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy shit!!!! I didnt know lowering my car could be such a pain in the ass. Please help me. I have a problem getting the stock spring out of the clamp. I used a screwdriver but that isnt working. Does anyone know what I can use or if there is a special tool I need to get to get the stock clamp off the spring. Send me something, a link, a suggestion, or a gun. lol. JK. Help please guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. That helps alittle. But does anyone know what im talking about. When i said the spring is clamped in. I dont know what to use to release the clamp. Did they use a prybar to do that. Please anyone any suggestions are helpful. Thanks for your help though.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
sorry man, i dont really know waht your talking about and i dont remember what they did when they did my suspension. sorry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good. Wish you lived near me. LOL. I need help getting the shock out of the car. I got it unbolted but i couldnt get it out of the car. I was talking about the clamp holding the shock in the car. Maybe you could help me and tell me how you got the shock out of the car. I cant seem to find out or do to get the shock out. Thanks everyone for your help. Hope this better explained my problem.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
ahh I wish I could help. I know from what I hear about mk4 suspension..I hear its a bitch to get out. Hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
844 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
I know from what I hear about mk4 suspension..I hear its a bitch to get out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, you can't fully understand how much of a pain it is until you do it for yourself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O now I know what a pain in the ass it is. But V33dub thanks for ur help again. Im gonna try some things like the rebar. Ill fill you guys in on what works and what doesnt. Thanks for your guys help. Later.

·
Registered
433 Posts
sorry the link i gave you before really didn't help but here are 2 more that might help a little more (they are for installing coilovers but you still have to get the stock shocks out right)

site #1

site #2

·
Registered
75 Posts
are you using a spring compressor or did you just unbolt the mcpherson(sp?) strut and remove the whole unit from the car? if so....you need a spring compressor (rent one for free at autozones) to compress the spring so that you can undo the cap bolt and pull the spring off the shock tube, or do you mean the clamp in the lower control arm?

basically for the front end, you
1)jack the car
2) remove the wheel
3) pull the brake line out of the guides,
4)unbolt the half shafts(drive axles)
5) compress the spring
6) unbolt the top of the shock, let the suspension sag,
7) unbolt the clamp in the lower control arm, pry it apart with a crow bar and work the strut out (its a pain for sure)

·
Registered
844 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1fstgti:

4)unbolt the half shafts(drive axles)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This step isn't really needed. I did mine just fine without it. It's much much MUCH easier if you compress the springs while they're still on the car. The hardest part of the whole install was finding something to spead the spindle enough to get the strut out of it. My dad had to jiggy rig a tool for it that worked wonderfully. Once we got that, it took us about 20 min. to do the front. If I had to do it again, I could do that whole car by myself in less than 2 hours (without a lift, but a lift would be nice).

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V33dub_GTI:
Heh, you can't fully understand how much of a pain it is until you do it for yourself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
sorry dude. I was just sharing what I heard. I am going to try this. I need to add the rubber insert in the cup-I guess the guys who put my suspension forgot to put the rubber discs back in the new suspension. I might just have them do it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys good news. My car is now 2 inches lower. I give all my thanks to u guys. One specially V33dub thank you so much. If anyone has any questions i can answer them or go on to v33dubs site it helped me alot. Good luck to whoever is going next. Later guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts