VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some time soon i will be purchasing the 60/40 gt kit from weitec.

over the weekend i was talking with dave about lowering my car, and he said that it is probley a good idea if i were to purchase a lower strut with the kit for clearance issues. i was wondering if anyone else could give me their 2 cents about this. and if there are any other parts that would be beneficial when lowering my car.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Don't just do springs. That's what i have right now and the shocks are so bad. The car bounces all over the place. I'm putting boge progas when i do my g60 brakes. Deffinetly do a spring shock combo. when you jack your car up if you can pick the wheel up and down then change your strut mounts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your help keith. i wasn't planning on just getting springs i was going to get the weitec gt kit. but my question is do i really need to get a lower strut for clearance issues, or is that just recommended.

[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: k2jetta98 ]

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I dont understand how a lower strut bar would have to do with any type of clearance? Do you mean sway bars? If so i have the Weitec GT kit and my lower sway bar is fine. My upper sway bar used to hit my cat until i got it welded up, but i think thats only because the cat+exhaust is heavier then stock.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I have rpi springs and koni front adjustable struts.In the rear I have kyb gas shocks.I would also replace the strut bearings at the same time.Later down the road I am replacing the lower sway bars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why not go with an H&R cup kit...heard they're a lot more quality and a good bang for your buck. Gettin those installed very soon. Good luck

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i thought that the lower strut might have some clearance issues along with the sway bar, i know that the stock sway bar might not have enough of a curve or something and it will scrap.

i talked the guy that will be putting my suspension on at the track yesterday and he said that i really don't have to worry about getting a sway bar, the only reason i would is if it was hitting alot. he said if it only scraps when i hit big bumps and what not that i really shouldn't worry about it. and he also said that the lower strut really doesn't matter, it wouldn't scrap no matter what its just good for stiffining up the car.

im not sure if i like the sounds of "if its not scrapping all the time, just when it hits a big bump" like i know that my car will scrap when i lower it there is no way around it. but for those of you that have your cars lowered did you replace the stock sway bar, or just leave it? and if you left it on how often does it scrap?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well thats good to know, i guess that i will leave my stock one and see how it goes.

how much of a drop do you have by the way?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
im pritty sure he has the 60/40 that you want zach. correct me if im wrong gareth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts