VW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has already been posted but I couldn't find it. I am lowering my 04 GTI an inch and a half. Is this going to create clearance problems for the axles or anything? Anything else I should do when lowering it?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,448 Posts
Usually once you lower it around 2in. is when you have rubbing issues from either the wheels/tires or axles. I had my gti on race springs with a 2in. drop and never had any rubbing issues.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Also, you will start busting cv boots alot. Your alignment may be off as well. Your suspension is also under alot mor stress the more you lower it. Think about where you live and how good the roads are. I had mine lowered about 1 in off the ground in TN but here in IL i have it raised up as far as my coilovers will allow because of the terrible roads. Lower you go it will probaly be stiffer as well, so say goodbye to soft ride.. So coilovers have dampening that helps though..

Hopefully some of this helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OKay, thanks guys. I was just afraid of putting too much stress on the joints in the axles as well. I do quite a bit of legal drag racing and this summer I'm looking to get into autocross too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts