VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my firend has a 99 jetta 2.0 he got his CEL read and it said his mass air flow sensor wasnt working right which would explain his rough idle sometimes. I've heard of ways to clean it by putting it in a plastic bag with isopropyl. If this is an easy way to clean it could someone tell me how to do it... how long to leave it? should i only use isopropyl alchohol or is there anything else i can clean it with?
thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can clean it but you have to have 91%+ Isopropyl Alcohol and let it dry fully before reinstalling ... OR you can call 1-800-245-7278 Maroneys PArts they have used tested MAF for 35.00 better then 290.00 NEW

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
How-To : Clean MAF

1. Buy a 1gallon ziploc bag and some 99% isopropyl alcohol(99$ grain alcohol or moonshine wont do)
2. Place MAF inside bag and submerge with alcohol, slosh the alcohol and the MAF around a few times for 5 minutes.
3. Remove and let dry completely.

Why spend the money for a new one when u can fix/clean the old one. Or get one from a junkyard?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i found maroney's on the tex and i called them up he said it is anywhere from 75-100 bucks for a new one with a 90 day warranty(spelling). so i called up my friend and told him about it but i've not got an anwser back because i need the #'s off the side of his maf. also is there an easy way to clean the breather looking valve on the top of the valve cover i would just think to use a throttle body/ carb cleaner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Testify!

Engine light kicked on.

Testing indicated P0106 MAF (mass air flow Sensor)

Searched the forum.

Bought alcohol 91% (Couldn't find 99%)

Cleaned for 5-10 minutes.

Tip Top for $2.99.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts