VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car now has 64,000 miles on it since July 28th, 2001.

After reading multiple horror stories on all the MKIV forums out there about peoples heads needing replacement from premature timing belt failure, I finally today decided to order the kit to get this done as well as a few other things. I have a local guy here that works at a VW dealer and is a certified technician that will be doing the work for me because I quite simply don't have time these days.

So I ordered the following and will have all this and my Stage II clutch installed at the same time in the next month, probably immediately after the tracks close for the season. If I manage to finally go 13's this weekend I will be done racing for the season and this stuff will go in even sooner.

OE Water Pump with O-Ring
OE Accessory Drive Belt
Accesory Drive Belt Tensioner Assembly
ECS Tuning OEM Timing Belt kit
Interior Air Filter
Pentosin Lifetime Antifreeze
Redline MT-90 Tranny Fluid

Damage - $393 shipped
Installation - Clutch + Timing and Accessory belts - $500

Plus I ordered the Dieselgeek Race SS kit today as well, I figured I needed a toy as well if I was going to get all this stuff for maintenance, plus I figured it would help with the lighter flywheel that will be installed with the Stage II clutch kit. Hopefully I will have the SS in before my track day this upcoming Saturday, a review will follow once it is installed.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Boostin20v:
think that sucks?? think about not doing it and how much it would cost to fix the resulting damage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this Stuart RW?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, if you owned an Alfa 164S, you are advised to change the timing belt and water pump every 30,000-50,000 miles. And it isn't pretty to do the job. Basically everything has to come out.

Preventative measures go a long way. My parents would change the trans. oil every 30 passes in their drag car - just to be safe. They send out their stuff every year to be freshened...and each year the converter guy was amazed. He told it looked brand new with no wear.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah I will be calling a local guys (that handles mostly vws) this week for the 80k mileage maintainance. wish me luck. Like Emily said Preventative check-ups are much better than paying for broken stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
think that sucks?? think about not doing it and how much it would cost to fix the resulting damage

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Yeah I'm going to be doing some maintenance soon, it sucks so much spending money on it when you could be spending it on mods

1 - 6 of 6 Posts